Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Prayer request for Ken, his family and friends.
    I just learned that my friend Ken died yesterday of a heart attack.

He is about my age (47) and has 7 kids. He and his wife are both attorneys, and the wife gave up her career, several years ago, to stay at home to better manage the family and the kids' education. They both volunteer many hours at our Church and a variety of other organizations.

Please, if you believe in doing so, pray:

a) For Ken
    And
    b) for his family and friends who are grieving.

And for those of you who are Catholic Christians, if you would please remember him when you receive the Eucharist next, and maybe even ask that a Mass be for him at your Parish, Ken and the thousands who knew him would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 08:49 AM

So sorry to hear of your friends passing. He will be in my prayers.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2011, 09:03 AM

Condolences to you and the family on this loss.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Mar 31, 2011, 09:10 AM

I will pray for him and his family as well
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2011, 09:21 AM

My most sincere condolences to you and the family of Ken.

I'm not Catholic, but Ken, his family and his friends are in my prayers :)
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 31, 2011, 09:23 AM

My positive thoughts and energies are directed at you and the family of Ken. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 09:59 AM

I'm not Christian, but I will light a candle tonight and direct positive energy toward you and Ken's family.

My thoughts are with you all in this time of sadness, and I hope that the love you all shared for Ken will sustain and strengthen you all, and ease your pain.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2011, 11:07 AM

So very sorry. Prayers and thoughts of peace for Ken, his family, and his friends like you Rick.
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2011, 11:25 AM

GOLONKA Kenneth A. Golonka, Jr. age 49, of Hilliard, passed away on Thursday, March 31, 2011.

He was born in Cleveland, Ohio on July 25, 1961 to Carole A. and Kenneth A. Golonka, Sr.

He graduated from St. Ignatius High School in 1979, the University of Notre Dame (1983) and finally The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (1986), graduating with honors from both.

He was preceded in death by his grandparents Frank and Helen Knoll, Louis Golonka and Margaret Bergole, father-in-law Brian M. Smith, and brother-in-law Brian P. Smith.

He is survived by his loving wife of 24 years, Denise; and loving children, Katie, Kenny, Beth, Michelle, Therese and Caroline.

He will be dearly missed by his parents, Ken and Carole; brothers, Chris (Inka), Greg (Julie), Dan (Megan) Golonka; sister, Margaret (Greg) Nicholson; brother-in-law, Justin (Kyongchae) Smith; and mother-in-law, Ann Smith. Beloved nieces and nephews, Frankie, Alex, Stephen, Nicole, Lauren, Matthew, Daniel, Jane and Rose Golonka, Ben, Madeleine, Sam and Isabel Nicholson, Justin and Ava Smith.

Ken was a valued partner at the Law Firm of Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease where he practiced real estate law. He was a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus Bar Association and the International Council of Shopping Centers. His distinguished career was marked by various honors and awards including Columbus CEO Magazine, Top Lawyer in Columbus 2010; The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law 2003-2011; Ohio Super Lawyers, Real Estate 2004 2011; The Best Lawyers in Columbus Guide for Real Estate; Chamber and Partners, Leading Lawyers in Real Estate 2007 2010.

As passionate as Ken was about his work, his true passion was his family. There was never a major event or experience that Ken did not want to share with his loved ones. They were blessed with many great experiences together over the years, including trips out west and Europe for his well-earned sabbatical. Ken was the family story teller and historian who was fascinated by history and the world around him. Ken coached his children over the years in many different sports whether he knew anything about it or not. He was his children's biggest fan and could be seen at every sporting event, play, dance and concert.

Friends may call 2-5 p.m. Sunday, at the EGAN-RYAN NORTHWEST CHAPEL 4661 Kenny Rd. and 5-8 p.m. Monday, at St. Brendan Church, 4475 Dublin Rd. Hilliard, OH where the Mass of Christian Burial will be held 10 a.m. Tuesday. Burial Resurrection Cemetery. Contributions may be sent to the Muscular Distrophy Association in honor of his dear friend Jimmy Kirchmeir who was one of many, many family and friends who have welcomed him home.

(copied from the Obituary at Central Ohio News, Sports, Arts & Classifieds | The Columbus Dispatch)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 7, 2011, 08:21 AM

I am sorry Rick, bless him, his family and friends.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2011, 10:46 AM

Thank you; to all who have kept Ken, his family and his friends in your thoughts and prayers.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2011, 08:18 AM

My loving thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 08:31 AM

I thank you all again, for your thoughts and prayers.

Ken was buried last week, so now are the toughest times for his family - as they have to get back to the "daily grind" without him.

They are doing well, thanks to their Faith.

His oldest two kids are back to their colleges and the younger four are back at school and back to their extracurricular activities.

Ken's wife is doing the best that she can to organize it all by herself now that Ken is gone.

We can only continue to pray for Denise (Ken's wife) and the kids as they try to "move on" without him here.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2011, 08:43 AM

In November, our best friend Paul past away in his sleep due to heart problems. The days get easier, but just reading your post about you and his family and friends...

Good for the kids to get back to the normal things, courageous to get moving again. God bless his wife and all the others who loved this man.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 08:49 AM

Good point, startover. Denise has had the younger kids back at school and in their sports stuff in an effort to "keep things as they were". I too think that is a good thing.

The youngest kid is on my youngest kids' softball team, and she was there for practice two days after her father passed away.

We other parents are doing the best that we can to support her in this tough time.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2011, 11:11 AM

I am best friends with Pauls wife, I was there for 14 days and then I went every weekend till she started showing signs of being able to get the dishes in the dishwasher. It is easier in the beginning, everyone is so supportive, but then everyone's pain dies down. Mine still hasn't so I make sure she is all right on a daily or two day basis. I loved him so much, I love her, their kids...
    I guess what I am saying is that the hardest time is a few weeks after, no one is around rushing and helping, so get a list of people to check in and bring supper or whatever you can or your wife maybe. We did that for my friend and it helps to know that everyone is so supportive. It help "us" friends too, to get through the pain. XXOO
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 04:47 AM

Yes, I know what you are saying is true, startover.

I cannot imagine their grief and pain but can only continue to be a friend to his wife and kids... and hope that I say the right things when it's time to say something... or say nothing when it's appropriate to be silent.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2011, 07:23 AM

I don't have a doubt that you are doing things just fine.

I really am so sorry. Prayers and thoughts for sure are headed to all of you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends over family? [ 11 Answers ]

I wasn't sure what category to put this under so I hope it fits.. ever since I can remember my father has always been a distant person twords my family. When he's at home he acts totally uniterested in everything, he just sits in his chair and stairs at the TV, or into blank space. When he...

Scared to see my own family and friends [ 3 Answers ]

My issue has been bothering me for about 6-7 years. It all started when I became addicted to the computer. An old friend of mine taught me a lot about the computer so from there I became addicted and dedicated all my time to it. I had little friends and I was only social in school. On a family get...

View more questions Search