Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Mar 30, 2011, 01:26 PM
    I've had enough of this May 2011 world is ending theory...
    I'm sorry but there is a certain member on here who is scaring the CRAP out of me. I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I'm starting my own to get the point across directly.

How in the world does anyone know that the world is going to end in May 2011?? Furthermore, if it is indeed going to end then, how do you know YOU are going to be accepted by God?? I am worried to death every single time I read something that you write (you know who you are, if you ask, I will confirm)! Please explain what you base your theory on. The way I was always taught, no one knows/will know when the end is near, where do you and your people get the facts? What do you base it on? Is it really a mathematical logic? I have more to say, but I'm going to end it here as I am curious as to what others to have to say-I will build off that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 01:43 PM

Rest assured, no one knows when the world will end.

(Actually, according to Harold Camping, the Rapture and the start of Judgment Day will be May 21, 2011, followed by the end of the world on October 21, 2011.) Camping, had also predicted the end of the world in 1994. Guess what didn't happen?! Mr. Camping claims he's discovered a mathematical formula or some such. Psssst, just between you and me, there IS no such thing.

Here's another example of Camping's reasoning:

In John 21:1-14, the disciples are about 200 cubits out from the shore on the Sea of Galilee. Harold Camping has taken that figure of 200 cubits and decided that it actually means 2000 years between the first and second coming of Christ. Not only has Harold Camping inserted his own meaning into a minor detail in the Bible, he has changed the number from 200 to 2000 and the units from cubits to years. (from CULTWATCH - Harold Camping)

Does that tell you Camping's reasoning is a bit suspect?

And if it were true, every Catholic and Protestant church would be calculating like mad and coming up with the same results. The front page of newspapers would be filled with articles. After all, how many times does the world really come to an end?
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 30, 2011, 01:53 PM

I don't have a lot to say about it because I think it's rubbish. Utter rubbish.

BUT, sometimes when the world starts scaring the crud out of me, I listen to See you in the light by Michael Franti and Spearhead.

If the end of the world is this year, well then I hope I see you all on the other side!

Mar 30, 2011, 02:08 PM

I want to believe that it is rubbish, I mean I was a lot younger and remembering the world was going to end once we hit Year 2000, but we seem to be doing fine today... I'm not trying to start shiz with anyone, but I'm just trying to collect the facts. I mean these people leave their families, belongings, jobs, all sorts of "crazy" (crazy in my opinion) things behind and go travel in a van or on a bus preaching that the world is going to end in two months. It's a scary thought because there are so many innocent people out there (and I am NOT talking about myself) who haven't had the chance to learn about the word of God and all that, do you think THEY would be accepted by God if indeed this date is to be true? Seems unfair to me... don't think God would do that...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Depressed in MO View Post
    It's a scary thought because there are so many innocent people out there (and I am NOT talking about myself) who haven't had the chance to learn about the word of God and all that, do you think THEY would be accepted by God if indeed this date is to be true? Seems unfair to me...don't think God would do that...
    It sounds like that is your larger concern rather than the world ending in May.

God is Love. Rest your heart on that.

Mar 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It sounds like that is your larger concern rather than the world ending in May.

God is Love. Rest your heart on that.
    Yes, my major concern is my family. I have three little ones, who I've just introduced to church/God. They are great kids with big hearts, I just feel that they haven't had enough time according to what these "preachers" are preaching...

My largest concern is my family, first and far-most.

Mar 30, 2011, 02:19 PM

"God is Love. Rest your heart on that."

By the way, that is very beautiful and 100% true. Now that's something I can believe in!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
    Yes, my major concern is my family. I have three little ones, who I've just introduced to church/God. They are great kids with big hearts, I just feel that they haven't had enough time according to what these "preachers" are preaching...

My largest concern is my family, first and far-most.
    So you are already bringing God into their lives. And you've already taught your children to have "big hearts." God doesn't hand out diplomas to entitle people to get into heaven once they are "finished" learning all about Him (as if we could be... ). We are always learning.

Even the doubters -- A well-known Christian writer (Frederick Buechner) once said, "Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith." If you're even having doubts, that means there's something there.

The only people I would fear for are those who been presented with the Gospel, the two Greatest Commandments (love God and each other), and who have said, "No, thanks." And God may have something up His sleeve for them too.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 30, 2011, 02:29 PM

If our time here on Earth is meant to give us a full understanding of God, the first source and center, and our journey to the universe of universes...

Well then I think the big man in the sky needs to restructure the curriculum, or perhaps upgrade the facilities in which we learn.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 02:29 PM
    "God is Love. Rest your heart on that."

By the way, that is very beautiful and 100% true. Now that's something I can believe in!
    And it's pretty much all you need. All this May 2011 crap is just some clown who's either a) totally deluded and self-important, or b) laughing all the way to the bank. People have been setting dates since the day Jesus ascended, and they've all been wrong. Jesus said nobody, not even he himself, knows the day or hour. Some people will tell you that he didn't really mean that and you can know; baloney. I'll go with the plain words of the Lord: nobody knows, nobody can know. Don't let anyone who's not Jesus tell you differently. What comes after May 21, 2011? May 22, 2011. Nothing more. Love your family, you're doing great.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Wondergirl nailed it with her first post. Let's look at what the bible says about it... which she did using the most perfect verse to combat it. Funny they magically find their way around that one. The other thing is look at the person who has this "revelation". Biblically speaking, he should already be labeled a false prophet from his earlier fiasco... but no, just like the JWs, he just keeps pumping out end of the world falsehoods. When will people learn not to be fooled by this stuff?

Here's one more thing... even if they figured out the exact date, which remember the bible says ONLY the Father knows, why can't they just leave it at that... but no, in true cult fashion they add a bunch of other nonsense to the mix... now we're supposed to leave our churches too... so much for the bible telling us NOT to forsake the gathering of the brethren. These people need to spend more time reading what the bible DOES say and less time trying to MAKE it say something.

They are welcome to come to my church on May 22nd... I think a lot of people are going to need a little "pick me up" on that morning. I feel sorry for am equally embarrassed for them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 06:57 PM

First no one knows, when the earth will end, there were 100's of dates for years. remember the year 2000 when all of the world was to end.

This is a small nut case group that for what ever reason won't agree to sign over all of their belongings to me the day before, if they are all sure, why won't they.

But next why is it even a worry, you should be laughing that anyone could believe such bull.

Mar 30, 2011, 07:03 PM
    I WOULD laugh if it's wasn't so serious and sad. They are scaring people and really causing some confusion. But, I'm with you... if they're so sure about it, sign something over to me too... I could use their house or car, seeing as they won't be needing it and all...
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    I WOULD laugh if it's wasn't so serious and sad. They are scaring people and really causing some confusion. But, I'm with you...if they're so sure about it, sign something over to me too...I could use their house or car, seeing as they won't be needing it and all...
    I want in on this action, too!

My own view, based on nothing more than the fact that I can be a monumental jerk at times so it's what I would do:

God sets a date and time. Some bozo starts fumbling with numbers and accidentally hits on the date and time that God set. When that happens, God changes the date and time just to make sure the bozo is wrong.

Creating God in my own image? You bet! Fun to play with inside my own head? Definitely! Taking it seriously? No bloomin' way!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2011, 05:41 AM

What really interests me are the proponents of this date stuff ( read that as HSB and others) refuse to come on and post their excuses for following this false teaching. Instead they simply post the same blather on every other thread. Even though it has nothing to do with the original subject.

Mar 31, 2011, 07:16 AM

Thank you all for your replies. It's very comforting to hear from all of you. I will admit, I need to open up my heart and learn more about Jesus/God, at least I'm at a starting point with myself and my family. With that being said, I guess I'm just at a gullible/vulnerable stage right now when it comes to hearing about things like this-at the current time, I'm a little ignorant to the facts so It's hard for me to decipher what's true and what's not. Hearing your different opinions certainly brings me a wider range of hope. Thanks again!

Mar 31, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So you are already bringing God into their lives. And you've already taught your children to have "big hearts." God doesn't hand out diplomas to entitle people to get into heaven once they are "finished" learning all about Him (as if we could be...). We are always learning.

Even the doubters -- A well-known Christian writer (Frederick Buechner) once said, "Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith." If you're even having doubts, that means there's something there.

The only people I would fear for are those who been presented with the Gospel, the two Greatest Commandments (love God and each other), and who have said, "No, thanks." And God may have something up His sleeve for them too.

Your words are very, very comforting to me. I need to surround myself and loved ones around people like you... Sometimes I am so wrapped up in worrying about the wrong things that I miss out on the true meaning (which I should already know) of what's really important.

Mar 31, 2011, 06:09 PM
    Depressed... the only people that make the bible confusing for others is when they are trying to FORCE something to be found in it. Don't be afraid of reading it... it means what it says. When Jesus says that NO MAN knows the day or the hour of His return... rest assured that is what He meant. When you read in the bible where it says that if we confess our sins and simply believe that Jesus died in our place we shall be saved... it's that simple. Don't let denominations confuse you with Gifts of the Holy Spirit or baptism (which are important... but not essential for salvation). Opening your heart to God is the most important step... you don't have to have it all figured out. Rest assured my friend, not everyone believes the garbage that is floating around out there about certain dates... I will sleep like a baby May 21st because I know where my heart is... certainly not in a man with a shaky biblical foundation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 06:27 PM

Of course we need to live every day, as if it was our last one on earth, ( for many reasons) I can remember the day my first wife died, the last words were very mean and hurtful. So no chance to ever change those last words.
    I had considered calling to try and "make up" but did not, so now that call is a little too long distant to make.

But even with that, as a Christian, or even many other major religions, we do talk about a "last day" and we do not know when it is, It may be tonight or it may be 1000 years from now, we just don't know. But the person who has their heart right with God will not worry about it,

I lost a good friend last month to cancer and another one only has about 5 weeks to leave. What they both said, was that they have made their peace with God.
    And that is it, we need each day to have our peace made with God, so that if and when our time comes we are ready and face it with honor

Mar 31, 2011, 07:24 PM
    Exactly my point. When your heart is right with God... who cares when He comes... He'll return when He does, and until then it's our job (as Christians) to continue to be the light of the world. True, this guy has a 1 in 365 chance of being right... but what does it matter? Quite frankly if someone knew the exact time and lived like a sinner up until the last moment then "repented", it says a lot about his heart and his true intentions. It doesn't even make sense to provide mankind with a date like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

String theory and M-theory [ 4 Answers ]

What are the basic ideas behind the string theory? What about the M-theory : how advanced is it? Is it the truly unifying theory we all wish to see?

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search