Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 12:39 PM
    Shoot an elephant and get admonished for feeding the masses?
    How did man begin feeding itself, with fruits and nuts,grasses and such,then fire was found,fire and meat.

Anyone remember what an atlatl The Atlatl and Dart: An Ancient Hunting Weapon is?An ancient hunting weapon to kill animals bigger than man.

The bigwig of Go Daddy.com gets ripped a new orifice for killing an elephant(albeit,not with an ancient weapon ;) ) and feeding some X number of native Africans who needed the food, and the western world has issue with this?

Do we see any huge farms here in the desert southwest large enough to feed the 2+ million living in the Phoenix area, None that I have seen yet,so what do those 2+million people live on?, food we produce here in the states and abroad.

What are these complainers complaining about?The fact that it is on air?Yeah,it's nice not to see the reality of HOW OUR FOOD IS PRODUCED, but the simple fact is, this is how it's done folks!

We are not "humane' in slaughtering cows for our hamburgers,nor how we process pigs for our bacon,nor the turkeys for our thanksgiving dinners.

Anyone else think the media is on the let's be green 'holier than thou' thing on this?
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 30, 2011, 12:59 PM

I had to look up what you were referring to, I'm just not that great with current events. Here is a link to the article I read.

Sooooo, well as a moral vegetarian, I can honestly say I would eat the meat of an animal that was hunted the way Bob Parsons hunted it. There are two things that make me personally okay with it: 1) The elephant was a problem to the local agriculture, and 2) The elephant was put to VERY good use in feeding starving Africans!

If I could kill an animal and eat it, I would. I love the taste of meat. Unfortunately I was crying watching my friends rip out the veins from crawdads last summer before they threw them into a pot of boiling water. So... I'm not at that point yet.

If people think this is an outrage, then they have no business eating meat. Well, those are the thoughts that I keep to myself (except for in this thread, because it was solicited, right?).
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 01:28 PM

Zimbabwe issues permits for big game hunting. So long as he complied with the rules I see no issue here.
    I've never eaten elephant. But I have consumed many game mammals from North America.

When I was in Quebec I ate at a place that served a sampler of smoked venison ,elk and bison .Yum .
    He saved the villagers crops and fed them. He did not kill the elephant for a trophy . Good for him.
    I don't believe in hunting for any other reason than eating what has been killed .As Ted Nugent says ,wildlife is a renewable resource .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    We are not "humane' in slaughtering cows for our hamburgers
    Animals have to be slaughtered so we can eat meat. It's not only being humane in slaughtering (yes, there are ways to be humane), but also did the animal have a decent life (not living in an undersized crate or stall) and did it go to its death stress-free? Temple Grandin, the world's most famous autistic with a Ph.D. in animal science, has spent her adult life as a farm animal activist. She has restructured at least 60% of American slaughterhouses so that slaughtering can be done quickly and humanely.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Animals have to be slaughtered so we can eat meat. It's not only being humane in slaughtering (yes, there are ways to be humane), but also did the animal have a decent life (not living in an undersized crate or stall) and did it go to its death stress-free? Temple Grandin, the world's most famous autistic with a Ph.D. in animal science, has spent her adult life as a farm animal activist. She has restructured at least 60% of American slaughterhouses so that slaughtering can be done quickly and humanely.

Yes, there are humane ways to slaughter animals. If the process bothers people, then they shouldn't eat meat. All slaughter houses/chicken farms/anything else are NOT as depicted on the videos that keep getting resurrected.

I was vegetarian for a number of years. I no longer am, but I eat little meat.

I am amazed that people in Japan are in dire circumstances, same with Haiti - children are living in the mud, out in the open, and the media is concerned about an elephant that was killed in Africa. Where is the media when the caged hunts happen, many of them here in the US?

Media publishes and posts and publicizes what SELLS papers/newscasts/magazines. Maybe media should concentrate on other issues.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    I had to look up what you were referring to, I'm just not that great with current events. Here is a link to the article I read.

Sooooo, well as a moral vegetarian, I can honestly say I would eat the meat of an animal that was hunted the way Bob Parsons hunted it. There are two things that make me personally okay with it: 1) The elephant was a problem to the local agriculture, and 2) The elephant was put to VERY good use in feeding starving Africans!

If I could kill an animal and eat it, I would. I love the taste of meat. Unfortunately I was crying watching my friends rip out the veins from crawdads last summer before they threw them into a pot of boiling water. So...I'm not at that point yet.

If people think this is an outrage, then they have no business eating meat. Well, those are the thoughts that I keep to myself (except for in this thread, because it was solicited, right?).
    Yes,I read that story also(thx for the link),and commented on the page too.

I have worked on pig farms,watched cows get slaughtered,it isn't pretty,we simply don't like to see what some in this world do to just survive!

I commend this action(albiet I could seem biased as this CEO's company is based here where I live),but I am not, I see this kill as not sport,but humanitarian.

No, keeping thoughts to ourselves is censoring our self being, I am never one to be censored.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Zimbabwe issues permits for big game hunting. So long as he complied with the rules I see no issue here.
    I've never eaten elephant. But I have consumed many game mammals from North America.

When I was in Quebec I ate at a place that served a sampler of smoked venison ,elk and bison .Yum .
    He saved the villagers crops and fed them. He did not kill the elephant for a trophy . Good for him.
    I don't believe in hunting for any other reason than eating what has been killed .As Ted Nugent says ,wildlife is a renewable resource .
    Hi t,

Yes,I too have eaten many interesting game animals,snake,bear,elk,deer,etc.

I like Ted's phrase too, a renewable source, way to think green Ted.. ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I was unaware of her,I will look her up,thanks wonderwoman(girl)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Three of her books are Animals in translation, Thinking in pictures, and Animals make us human. She has a monthly column in the autism magazine I was again published in (March/April 2011 issue) and is one amazing woman!

Mar 31, 2011, 07:29 AM

Ken,

I went back to the article and read your post, and then more posts after yours.

I'm actually disgusted by the way people are condemning the need of the AFRICANS for meat! Calling this elephant "innocent"... what in the heck do you call the millions of cows, pigs, chickens, and fish that are given measly little pastures, pens, cages, or concrete aquariums... only so they can live lackluster lives and then be slaughtered (I'm not trying to condemn factory farming)? They must have done something far worse than the rogue elephant to deserve being nothing more than a cellophane wrapped menu item in tonight's dinner.

I sincerely hope all of these people who are saying this CEO is awful for "hunting such a grand animal" don't eat grocery store meat and at least go to local ranches to purchase it.

Bah.. Oh and one of my favorite comments on this article is:

"Again the pampered city dwellers of Los Angeles and the other massive environmental disasters known as cities criticize things they have no way of understanding.

Perhaps it's true, those doggone hungry Africans should just go to Gelson's and buy some organic bean curd with hazelnuts, and perhaps a nice Chianti.

Of course, when LA residents buy their meat, they have conveniently had a "hit man" kill it for them, cover it with plastic, and give it names that obscure its source."
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2011, 10:07 PM
    Of course, when LA residents buy their meat, they have conveniently had a "hit man" kill it for them, cover it with plastic, and give it names that obscure its source."
    AMEN... it's such hypocritical BS! They profess the killing of animals is what, unnatural?

Man (much less beast) has been killing animals for food since the dawn of time(what did the meat eating dinosaurs eat?, packaged bologna? I think not.)

These PETA people and those who can't stomach eating red meats,fine for them,they have the choice to not have it in their diets,but those who NEED the actual food, they were treated to this gift,and a necessary kill of this rouge animal.. I just can't understand their thinking other than to make headlines for themselves... it's a wonder where hate crimes stem from isn't it?
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 02:32 AM

You can't get the complete complex proteins ,with all the essential amino acids, you need from a single source of veggies like you can with meat. You can get them by incorporating a variety of veggies . So vegans have to be aware that their diet could be deficient of some protein if they are not careful. Soy is the closest to a single source as well as some other more exotic plants like spirulina.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Apr 1, 2011, 03:24 AM

I buy my meat from a local farm where I can see the animals in the fields and know where they are slaughtered and how. Some people find the idea of eating a pig that you may have previously been having a chat with over the fence to be somewhat disturbing. I find it honest and am very happy to know my meat has been raised ethically. The idea of hunting your own meat is more honest still, though not feasible in the UK apart from perhaps fishing. The only caveat is that numbers need to be protected as it is obviously in nobody's interests to hunt anything until it is below sustainable levels.
    Which brings us back to fishing, and of course it is the commercial trawlers not the guys with fishing rods that are mercilessly plundering the sea.

Having said that the bulk of my diet is vegetable and raw. It is actually easy to get plenty of protein without meat, vitamin B12 is more tricky.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 03:46 AM

The only caveat is that numbers need to be protected as it is obviously in nobody's interests to hunt anything until it is below sustainable levels.
    Here local game needs to be culled due to over population. There are too many deer and Canadian geese.

Unleash the hunters ,and prep the meat for the shelters. Nothing better than venison steaks or Goose L'Orange .

It is actually easy to get plenty of protein without meat, vitamin B12 is more tricky.
    Yes ,I just said that with few exceptions you don't get all the complete proteins you need from a single source like you would from meat.

Apr 1, 2011, 05:57 AM

I have to take B12 from a bottle. A dropper full each morning. Without it I'm lethargic, I have a headache, and I just don't feel right.

And then I have to take calcium tablets because I don't eat dairy.

My main sources of protein come from eggs, tofu, quinoa, nuts, and beans. I'm actually really good on protein, and not so good at eating vegetables!

Vegetarians who don't pay attention to the minerals and vitamins that meat gives humans do suffer. Ten years ago I lived off cheese, pasta, and tortillas and I lost chunks of hair, bruised really easily, and had dry, brittle hair/fingernails.

I know better now :)

Off topic-sorry.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, there are humane ways to slaughter animals. If the process bothers people, then they shouldn't eat meat. All slaughter houses/chicken farms/anything else are NOT as depicted on the videos that keep getting resurrected.

I was vegetarian for a number of years. I no longer am, but I eat little meat.

I am amazed that people in Japan are in dire circumstances, same with Haiti - children are living in the mud, out in the open, and the media is concerned about an elephant that was killed in Africa. Where is the media when the caged hunts happen, many of them here in the US?

Media publishes and posts and publicizes what SELLS papers/newscasts/magazines. Maybe media should concentrate on other issues.
    I used to be a vegetarian as well, I agree, the images the media shows of slaughter houses isn't what they are really like, not where I live anyway.
    Here it's all over so fast. The cattle, sheep goats etc are shipped in and left in a huge pasture for some time before being led directly into the slaughter house.

I'm not a fan of Halal meat, but even that is not quite as bad as portrayed. They slit the throat of the animal and then it is immediately bolted.

I'd rather see sow stalls abolished than this guy getting his 15 minutes of fame.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 07:59 AM

Off topic-sorry.
    Not at all,this is a more open topic than you might think... lol.. hijacking threads used to be Alty's job, but all are welcome.. :p
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I'd rather see sow stalls abolished than this guy getting his 15 minutes of fame.
    But the images weren't even meant for fame,it was more to the elimination of a problem animal,and subsequent feeding of the people, OK,I am somewhat biased, I am all for the ending of hostile and over abundant animals...

Back in Illinois,the deer population was so out of hand that car incidents were a daily thing,the population needs to be culled,if the local farmers need them thinned,the local DRIVERS need them thinned,and they feed people,I see no harm done.

Just sayin'...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding masses [ 13 Answers ]

The three blocks shown are relased at t=0 from the position shown in the figure. Assume that there is no friction between the table and M2, and that the two pulleys are massless and frictionless. The masses are: M1 = 3.0 kg, M2 = 7.0 kg, M3 = 5.0 kg. ...

Pros/Cons of Breast feeding vs. Formula feeding. [ 9 Answers ]

I have heard that if you don't breast feed your baby will have an unhealthy immune system (although I am pretty healthy, and was bottle fed), and I have also heard horror sotries about breast feeding. What are good vs. bad of breast feeding/bottle feeding?:D:D

3 Masses [ 3 Answers ]

M1 is a spherical mass (43.8 kg) at the origin. M2 is also a spherical mass (15.4 kg) and is located on the x-axis at x = 57.0 m. At what value of x would a third mass with a 11.0 kg mass experience no net gravitational force due to M1 and M2?

Tension - Two Masses [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me to understand this problem? Two 100-N weights are attached to a scale as shown. What is the reading on the scale? (I have attached the picture) The correct answer is 100N but I do not understand why it is not 200N.

View more questions Search