Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scortcho Posts: 78, Reputation: 3

Mar 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
    My girlfriend feels like cutting again, what do I do?
    I have been dating my girlfriend for about a year and a half now. When we had met, she was in a bad relationship and she cut herself from time to time. This was terrifying to me so I tried to help her as much as I could. I gues she just needed someone to shake her awake, because she soon left the bad relationship and she hasn't felt the urge to harm herself since. We have spent many nights with her crying into my shoulder as she tries to talk about it, it still haunts her all the time. She has told me many times that I was the reason she changed and that I am the reason she's happy. But the other day she got back from a week in Florida where a teacher of hers yelled at her a lot. Then the next day her parents were yelling about something. That night she told me that she feels like she did when she used to cut herself, I tried to tell her that she's stronger than that and that I'm proud of her. She told me she wasn't going to cut. Then this morning she texts me and tells me that she feels like cutting again. I'm very worried about her and I don't want her to fall back into those old ways, I know she will regret it later. Is there anything that I should or should not be doing to keep her from hurting herself anymore? I really need your help right now.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 02:03 PM
    It is not a good idea to be held hostage by any threat. That your girlfriend feels the need to cut herself, while I would also take it seriously, I would eventually draw boundaries between what I can do for her, and what she needs to do for herself.

You are not preventing her from harming herself. While she may feel better after talking about these feelings with you, and she averts herself from cutting by doing so, that is a burden, when repeated, that becomes an obligation on your part. She has become dependent upon you, from saving herself, from herself.

I would be inclined to tell her that while you are there for her, she needs professional help in dealing with the emotions that overwhelm her to the point where she feels the only solution is to cut. Offer to take her to a therapist or counselling, and then come and pick her up afterward. You could also tell her that because this keeps repeating itself, you feel the need to tell her parents if it continues without her getting help. She may very well have enough control right now, with relying only on you, but it could very well become a situation that is out of your control and they would need to be aware of what is going on eventually anyway.

In other words, she needs to walk the walk now, and make a commitment to change her thinking and behaviour. At best, while well intentioned by you, it is prolonging the inevitable, and you can only put out so many fires before it becomes impossible for you to contain. And when and if that happens, you will be wishing that you had set some boundaries and expectations earlier.

You need to be strong for her, in order for her to be strong for herself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend feels that I use her for sex [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 3 years recently ended our relationship. We were long distance for the last part of the year due to college. Over winter break, I was feeling that the relationship was ending and didn't spend much time with her. She confronted me about this about a day before my break was over and...

My girlfriend left me because she feels happier [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 5 months has left me because she said she feels happier without me. She also added not to be sad, she loves me but she's not in love with me. We had been talking for about a month before we went out. This is the second time we break up. The first time was because she wasn't feeling...

My girlfriend says she doesn't know if she feels the same about me, what do I do? [ 18 Answers ]

My girlfriend of almost 6 months says she doesn't know if she feels the same way about me anymore. She has been gone for a little bit and we were fine when she first left. Then a few days before she was supposed to come back she started acting different towards me. She says she needs a break from...

Girlfriend feels nothing during intercourse. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, So I am 19, and she is 18, and have just started having sex. She was a virgin, but said it didn't hurt the first time (like it can very often). So far we've only had sex twice, but she tells me that she feels nothing (other then the presence). So pleasure or pain or anything like that. ...

View more questions Search