Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
    USA taxes: Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption
    Hello,
    I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the two years agreement between USA and my country Italy.

I briefly describe my situation: I am an Italian citizen. I arrived in the US first time in June 2005 with a J-1 VISA and I spend 4 months there. I spend other 3 months in 2007 with a J-1 visa. Both times I was in the US supported from my Italian university. Last July 2010 I moved in the US for a 2-years post-doc, again with a J-1.
    My employer said that I’m not eligible for tax exemption. I did pay SIT, FIT and WC taxes in 2010 but not SS and medicare because I was considered non-resident.
    My specific question, now that I’m filling my 2010 tax return having my W2, is: counting the months that I spend in US with a J-1 visa before 2010 I’m still below the 2 years, then should I be considered tax exempt for that period? In particular, the 2 years agreement with Italy is considered 2 consecutive years after the first entry in the US with a J1, or the total of 2 years can be the sum of total months among more years?
    Thanks in advance for consider my questions
    martinam
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 30, 2011, 01:43 PM
    You cannot claim a treaty exemption as a J1 scholar if you have been exempt 2 or more years of the last 6 years (not counting the current year0. You were exempt in 2005 and 2007, so you cannot claim an exemption now.

Mar 30, 2011, 01:50 PM

Thank you taxesforaliens,
    So it is 2 consecutive years from the first time you enter the US with a J-1. Does it change something if both for the 4 months in 2005 and the 3 in 2007 I was paid by Italy I did not fill any tax forms?
    Thanks again
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Comment on martinam's post
    No, that doesn't change anything.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 05:41 PM
    I see no provision in the U.S.-Italy Tax Treaty that specifies that a previous J-1 visit or previous time as a F-1 student counting against the two-year exemption period.

That being the case, I recommend to file Form 1040NR with a Form 8833 and ask for the exemption direct from the IRS. All they can do is say NO!

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Mar 30, 2011, 09:55 PM

Thank you AtlantaTaxExpert.
    I pretty much figured out everything on the 1040 NR EZ and on 8843. In your answer you mention ask directly IRS for exemption, do you mean fill them as I'm considered exempt or refer someone at IRS or similar?
    Thanks
    lmlprice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Hi, I am a US citizen and will be teaching in Italy one week and will receive compensation. The Italian University intends to tax my earnings but do ask me if I intend to take advantage of a law/tready to avoid double taxation.

Would the provision be the Italy/USA tax treaty (how whould I state this provision)?

Is there a provision in the Italy/US tax treaty I can refer to so as not to get taxed in Italy but only in the USA?

Would this provision allow for a lower tax in Italy? Or Is this applicable only when I file my taxes in the USA.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Italy has first rights to tax Income earned within Italian borders.

You will declare that Income and file Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit on
    Italian taxes paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Tax treaty USA/Italy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/tax exmption problems. I was hired in the USA, University of Arizona, on October 1th, 2009. For the fiscal year 2009 I used the Italy/USA tax treaty, article 20: According to this article italians working in the USA as...

Tax treaty usa italy [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I'm a Italian postdoc in an American university since Aug 2009 (j1-visa). I was research scholar in a different American university in 2006-2007 before going back to Italy (j1-visa as well). May I apply for Italy-USA tax treaty in 2009 if I already applied in 2006? The programs...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

View more questions Search