Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
    Movie based on Michael Crichton's novel "Prey".
    I'm reading the book now.

I KNOW that I've seen a movie based on it, but there's nothing at imdb.com or wikipedia.org about it.

I do, though, see that Fox got the movie rights for it back in 2002 (source) but nowhere can I find what the name of the movie was.

Can any of you tell me what the movie title was?

If it helps, here are some things that you might remember:

1. It's about nanotechnology "cameras" that worked in a "swarm".

2. The wife of the main character was "infected" by the nano-cameras.

3. The nano-cameras were able to take human form.

4. Much of the book (movie) took place in the desert, where the main characters were hunting for where the "swarm" of nano-cameras hid out at night.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 10:37 AM

One blog reports that no, there never was a movie made from Prey -- "In fact, said my extra-super-double-secret Hollywood insider source, Crichton is quite a cranky character who was not at all pleased with the film treatment of Timeline."

Wikipedia says, "Elements of [Prey] were utilized in the 2008 film The Day the Earth Stood Still [citation needed], in which a swarm of nanobots escape from a secure military facility."
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 10:43 AM

Yep, I saw those links.

My frustration is that in reading the book, I'm reminded that I KNOW that I saw the movie!

Yes, I know that there is a small chance that my memory is of reading the book years ago, but I don't think so... I KNOW that I've seen the movie.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 10:46 AM

Call your local library's reference desk. They have resources I don't have here at home.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 10:51 AM

I just checked WorldCat (OCLC--the definitive world catalog) and couldn't find a film version of Prey. My conclusion is that one was never made.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 10:58 AM

I'm picturing it so well that I'm 99.9% sure that I'm not just remembering a previous reading of the book.

My guess is that it was done as a movie but under a different name.

... but then again, there is that small chance that I am only recalling memories of reading the book in the past... but if that's the case, it's really weird that it's so vivid to me. I'm SURE I've seen the movie!

I read 2 books per week, and have lots of favorites that stand out. "Prey" is not one of them, so why this one would stand out in my memory like it is, is beyond me.

I can't help but think that I've seen the movie for sure.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Maybe: What's the name of the movie about nanobots that filmed on the Sci-Fi channel? - Yahoo! Answers
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 11:04 AM

Please call the library. Many movies have a different title from the book they were taken from, and the reference desk should have a list or database of them.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
    WG - the interweb has ALL the info you need! Without getting up on one's chair.

:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 11:35 AM

Well, RickJ didn't believe me or trust my Internet searches, so let the library search for him.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:39 AM

I already know what the librarians will tell me, because they'll use the same sources that I have.

I'll keep searching, and hopefully find the name of the movie that I know I saw... and then a) update the Wikipedia page for Michael Crichton, and b) email imdb to tell them to add it to their database.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I already know what the librarians will tell me, because they'll use the same sources that I have.
    That is absolutely not true!
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That is absolutely not true!
    Really? Tell me. What do they have that I don't?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 11:48 AM

Paper files and WorldCat for two examples.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
    WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 11:58 AM

But he wouldn't have known about it had I not mentioned it. And searching in it is a bit of an art.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And searching in it is a bit of an art.
    Same with searching the web and that's my forté.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 12:05 PM

And what did you find out about a movie based on Prey?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
    There is no movie based on the book but fans would like there to be. I posted a link to what Rick may have seen.

Whatcha got WG?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    There is no movie based on the book but fans would like there to be. I posted a link to what Rick may have seen.

Whatcha got WG?
    I've learned the same thing. I have a call out to my home library's reference department librarians who are working on a similar question about Black Swan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

I was told by a "spiritual leader" or "medium" to put white flowers in my bedroom. [ 8 Answers ]

I have no idea what they are intended to do or what area in my life they are going to improve or affect. Does anyone know what white flowers, specifically in the bedroom are for?? Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search