Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enajenkins Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Question #3 Credit Repair: Old, inactive accounts - should I delete?
    I have two (a major department store and major banking institution) revolving accounts that have been open since 2000 and 1995 respectively, but have held a zero balance for the last several years. If I cannot re-establish usage of these accounts, will deleting them hurt my credit?

-Ena
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Close 'em. If you haven't needed them in more than a year, close them. Credit companies consider how much you have outstanding, but they also consider how much you could have outstanding. If you have accounts open, then that is potential debt that you could have and it will negatively affect your credit rating.

Not by much, but it's a generally good idea to have a few good things on a credit report than lots of average things.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jan 23, 2007, 01:48 PM
    The length of time you've had credit, and the ratio of amount owed to the credit limit, have significant weight on your total credit score.

I'd close the department store card, just because the interest rate must be killer... But if the other is a standard credit card, I'd use it once in a while - and keep it paid off.

Depending on your other debts, keeping the bank's credit card might be more helpful to your credit rating.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 23, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Most companies will close your account internally, though still report to the credit bureaus that they are still active accounts, even though you cannot charge on them. As Techsupport said (good advice, too) you should close them, because they do lower your scores because the companies are reporting that you still have an ability to spend with them. Most companies require that you close an account in writing before they will report accurate information to the credit reporting companies. Deleting them will not hurt your credit rating, it will help it.
    enajenkins Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Thank You Guys!! I have been trying to figure out what I should do about these accounts for the longest! I really feel more informed.

Ena :)
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 24, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by enajenkins
    Thank You Guys!!!! I have been trying to figure out what I should do about these accounts for the longest! I really feel more informed.

Ena :)
    if your credit cards haven't been used say for over 6 months to a year, most companys will label them inactive. To reopen the accounts you'd have to apply again. To be sure, send a letter to the companies in question and find out what their policy is. Also let them know you haven't been using them for a while. They can flag or de-activate the cards and keep them from being used by anyone else. Also as a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to keep a major credit card like visa for emergencies. Ex. Sickness car trouble and or home repair like a repapir man coming out to the house or condo. Ask the credit card companies to alert you for transactions on an unsued card. This way you can protect yourself about credit card fraud.

If you do cancel the cards, it will be a slight hit to your credit. But when you do cancel(or if) send letters to the 3 major credit bearuroes explaining why you cancelled. This will appear on your credit report for prospective lenders to see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trade Line Accounts vs Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal to add "Trade Line Accounts" or aged Credit Accounts to your Credit Report in order to raise your FICO score and if not way are there companies advertising to add Trade Lines to your credit report will rase your FICO score 200 points in 30-45 days. Most of the companies advertising ...

Credit Repair [ 5 Answers ]

I have a poor credit report. I am able at this time to pay off what I owe. Is it possible to make arrangements with a credit company to remove bad credit if payment is made in full? If so, what type of letter would best work? Thanks for you time mica

Ceiling drywall repair question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all and thank you in advance if you can help me. I am about to try to repair a 2 foot crack in my drywall ceiling. It was caused by someone( OK me) stepping on it from the attic. There is no hole or actual gap but the drywall was displaced slightly(has a bulge and has an incomplete...

View more questions Search