Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidchicagoil Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2011, 07:56 AM
    I Chew-Spit. Am I standing at hell's mouth, teetering on the edge, ready to fall in?
    I am overweight, almost obese. A couple of weeks back I came to the realization that if I don't do something about this, I am going to get in a lot of trouble. So I joined the gym and changed my eating habits - cutting down the bad carbs, eliminating candy and sugary stuff and cutting down the fat and stuff like that.

About a week ago I came home tired from work. Usually I would grab a beer from the fridge and start snacking on some really unhealthy stuff. My wife is a baker, so we always have some yummy stuff around the house. So when I got back the other day, I did exactly what I would've done a year ago - I shoved a whole slice of cheesecake into my mouth. Half way through chewing it I realized what I was doing and automatically spat it out and it gave me more pleasure than if I would've eaten the thing and less calories. So I started doing this on a regular basis. However, I still eat my meat, fruits and veggies and can't wait to get my amount of fat to a healthy level so I can start eating everything I like again /of course more responsibly/.

My question is, am I going down a safe road? I mean - you read stuff about teenage chicks dying from this sort of behavior - but as long as I get my basic nutrients and do this nothing can happen to me... right? What do you think?

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:06 AM

Just because you spit out some desert doesn't mean you are going to become malnourished. No, what you are doing is great, your basic food and no carbs or fat. Keep up the god work, you will be swimming with the sharks in no time !

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:08 AM

What do you mean by "spit out?" Do you mean you swallow it then you purge?

Mar 30, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    No, I chew it and I don't swallow it, I just spit it out.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:12 AM

Sounds like you are on the verge of bulimia. Won't be long before you decide it's okay to swallow it just to throw it back up again.

I don't agree that what you are doing is great. This is an eating disorder just waiting to happen.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:12 AM

Hi david, it must be a terrible waste of your wife's baking. So, basically just having the taste and texture in your mouth gives you satisfaction? Right ? If you need something sweet there are many nutritional bars available that serve the purpose but don't add calories.

I know why J asked about the purging, and I knew that you meant spit out, but purging is actually quite dangerous, just for your information.

Tick
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:13 AM

Yeah... agree with Tickle... as long as you are spitting it out and not swallowing and then regurgitating the food you are safe.

I did want to mention though that you would be probably bebetter off in the long run if you were to find another way to find satisfaction rather than spitting food out... could get expensive in the long run and seems that it could result in you just acquiring another bad habit.

Stick with the good stuff... all that sounds good. See if you can find another alternative to the baked goods... like healthy nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc.)... that kind of stuff.

Just my thoughts on this, OK?

Have a great day!

Mark

LOOKS LIKE I WAS WRITING WHILE OTHERS POSTED...;) I'll still leave the post though! Good luck!

Mar 30, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I was always used to eating really bad stuff and stopping is hard. What I do is like when a smoker tries to stop smoking and just uses nicotine patches instead. My friend died of a heart attack and I'm just really scared. I don't want to die in my 30's like he did just because of a few extra pounds I got to carry around...
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I know why J asked about the purging, and i knew that you meant spit out, but purging is actually quite dangerous, just for your information.
    I knew too, just had to clarify. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi david, it must be a terrible waste of your wife's baking. So, basically just having the taste and texture in your mouth gives you satisfaction? Right ? If you need something sweet there are many nutritional bars available that serve the purpose but dont add calories.
    You have to admit, Tick, that this is one of the first steps to an eating disorder. Next it will be okay to swallow as long as it comes up before it is fully digested so that no "calories" will be increased.

Yes, it has to be a terrible waste of your wife's baking. But if she is with you on losing weight she will help to find some healthy things to bake.

Mar 30, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Man. Life's just so hard. You try to somehow fix one eating disorder and as you're trying to do that you're getting yourself into even more crap...
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:20 AM

David, do you have another eating disorder?
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 08:33 AM

Yes, I guess I meant David is doing just great not swallowing a piece of cake. It never actually occurred to me that it would follow that he would swallow and then purge. I guess I have too much faith in people who want to lose weight and try to do the right thing.

David, don't be disheartened. You are on the right track with nutritional foods and working out at the gym. Just don't get into this bulimia idea. Like I said if your sweet tooth is acting up then there are other resources to satisfy it that are not fattening.

Tick

Mar 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Isn't eating more than healthy considered a disorder as well? Let me share my life story: I got out of high school at 17, joined the air force. I was thinner than a piece of paper. After 4 years I got out, went to college. Being able to eat normal stuff again just felt so good that I ate and ate and ate. Plus I became a stress eater.
    Now I go to law school and on top of that I work as a paralegal. Which is hard. And trust me, nothing feels better than coming home and having a really big meal and after that a hearty slice of carrot cake.

Mar 30, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    I do all my spitting secretly, because quite frankly, if I find it disgusting - what will others think. It's just I really like to have it in my mouth - and if I can't swallow it what else is there to do other than spitting it out.
    Also, it would never occur to me to swallow it and then get it out. I know how bad that is. I was just wondering if spitting it out is harmful too.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 06:08 PM

Having a taste and spitting it out isn't going to hurt you.

However, a better option to consider might be to just have a small piece, eat it, and enjoy it. As long as the majority of your food intake is from healthy choices, and reasonable portion sizes, the occasional dessert won't likely be an issue. In fact, for many people, not allowing yourself to have the occasional treat back fires and they tend to indulge too much due to feeling deprived.

I would assume your wife is also wanting to help you with your goals, so perhaps she can avoid having so many goodies in the house. Obviously it's best not to have the temptation in front of you in the first place.

You will have to see what works best for you to keep moving forward towards your goal of good health and good eating habits.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 06:25 PM

Trading one disorder and deciding which one is the best of two evils is not always a way to go. If you want "one bite" not a entire piece or pie, then eat a taste.

It is total amount of calories for the day and at times the time of day you are eating.

You can't change it all at once, but what you need to look for is an entire life style change
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2011, 11:52 PM
    High fat foods taste good, we need calories to live, and fat gives more calories per gram than other sources.

You did not do what you said, that 'young girls' are known to do (belemia?), they swallow, it gets to their stomach, then they throw up.
    You only tasted the food and spit it out, if I understand what you said. They get stomach acid in their mouths and it can cause additional problems.

Secondly nutrition is about having 'your jar' (your body) full of minerals,

Over time, as we eat we use up minerals to digess, etc.

A doctor won the nobel prize for saying, quote " all disease is caused by lack of minerals" unquote.

If you eat 'whole food' vitamins and minerals you can refill your jar faster than taking other types per a medical study by a medical doctor.

Some people say they like certain brands for more absorption of the minerals and vitamins, and medical studies show that is true. So some brands the medical doctors say are best absorbed by the body include megafood, innate response, new chapter.

Getting back minerals you may be short on takes time, and your body can only use so much at once, so do not expect overnight results, but if you can get good things in your body, that is what nutrition is all about.

Moms say eat yor vegetables. vitamins and minerals made from only whole food vegetable sources must be good for you, per moms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hell's Kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: The host of the show, Gordon Ramsey, promises the winner the position of HEAD CHEF at a brand new Gordon Ramsey Restaurant... This season, it's the LA Market, in the newly refurbished downtown area. These are NOT schlock restaurants, and he is not a schlock chef... They are multi...

Hell's kitchen [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone else want to put Gordon Ramsey on the naughty step when he starts shouting and breaking things or is that just me?

I have a distressing mouth odour.I have gone to physician who washed my mouth but it' [ 2 Answers ]

I have a distressing mouth odour that any time I talk in front of people,they will start rubbing their nose.This is really affecting my social life strongly.I went to a physician who washed my gum but it's still persisting.It's like the odour is from my breath.Please,what do I do.This is seriously...

I am looking for the name of a song that has the words, fall down on me fall fall [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a song that has the words, Fall down on me Fall Fall Build me up Fall fresh on me

View more questions Search