Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enajenkins Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt?
    Hi,

Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process:

If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved to be valid?

-Ena
    symone91 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 01:41 PM
    The only thing that can renew the life of the debt is if you pay something on it. I would wait it out. A few days before the 7 years expires, send certified (with return receipt) to the credit bureaus and tell them that the Fair Credit reporting Act states that any accounts that have been inactive for 7 years must be removed from your credit report. Tell them that you want the account deleted.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Are they in collection now?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Hello ena:

The fair credit reporting act says that negaive items will come off the report after 7 years of no activity. If you are in collections, the account IS active and the clock starts again.

excon
    enajenkins Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Are they in collection now?

Thanks to everyone for the advice...

They are listed on my credit report as being held by a collection agency, but I have made no contact with; or payments to the agency.

-Ena
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Send credit report companies a letter to verify the account, if it cannot be verify it must be remove, use the time frame you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question #1 Debt Validation: Who do I write first? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am about to begin the Debt Validation / Verification process, but I'm not sure where to start with the letter wrting process. Do I write the Credit Bureaus, Collection agencies, or the companies who initially furnished the debt? -Ena

Being sued by lawyer, validation of debt and answer alreay sent. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi to all, I am in NJ. I am new to this forum but have been reading different forums for about 2 years. So, I have this Providian credit card that has a balance of $2468.00 on it but the lawyer is sueing me for $3468.00. The credit card was charged off in 2002. It appears that it was sold to a...

Old debt [ 1 Answers ]

Is it better to settle old debt or let them slowly fade away and just concetrate on keeping present debt current?

Credit card debt question [ 21 Answers ]

Yesterday I was called by FCS, the man on the phone was nice and I want to clear up this old debt(approx.15 year old cc debt). It has not been on my credit report for over 5 years and I to my understanding it has been turned over to this new company. I problem is that I agreed on an amount and...

Child support and debt question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I used to live in the UK, but now am resident here in the states. When my ex husband and I divorced there were debts left from the marriage. Over here I am trying to pay them but alas about a year behind payment schedules which I shall be changing soon hopefully. One question is Will non...

View more questions Search