Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jan 22, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Who likes American idol?
    Well, the show just started another season & I'm all geared up for the entertainment!
    I usually watch it live or record it when I can't. Last week they started with the process of elimination. Some of these contestants were so bad but so humorous of course. Then after they get their walking papers, they are so shocked & crying sometimes. As if they thought they had any talent in the 1st place! Takes all kinds, I say!
    Now I like Randy (judge) the best. He is even keeled. Paula Abdul I think is too "generous" at times & Simon is a perfectionist.(whatever that brings)
    I liked the 3rd runner up last year but he blew it by singing an unknown song at a critical time-& it did not have the "wow" factor.
    It's not time yet for the voting but I'll have the # ready on redial when it is!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Me, me! It's one of only a couple network programs that our family watches. Yes, the beginning sessions showing all the whack-0-wanna-be-idols is pretty funny! :p
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Me too!!

Tomorrow night is Memphis auditions. I have to see if there is anyone I know. I do know of 4 that got on (not personally, but from my town), but will they be televised? I will have to wait and see.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Oh me toooooo. I just love the show. Boy they are really getting grilled for this year though. I do love Simon so much. I laugh so much I honestly fall off the couch. More at Simons facial expressions. Last week I do think he went a bit over the top with the boy with the big eyes. Something about he looked like one of the jungle monkeys. But I did hear that Simon apologized. I actaully think Simon deep down has a big heart. I love Paula and Randy too. I just love the show period.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Just for the sake of argument, I will tell you that I do not care much for American Idol. These people who get the audidtion should have to go through a preliminary audtion before getting on TV so we can spared the wretched noise and the sarcastic comments. To seemingly go out of one's way to mock someone's best efforts is not humor nor is it enjoyable.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Shygrneys,

I do completely understand what you are saying. I do find great humor when Paula and Simon go at it, although it's probably more playful than anything. What I enjoy most about it is the actual competition, not so much the auditions being run now. Unless during the auditions, you hear that one singer and go WOW now that is a singer. But I most enjoy when the competition is underway and seeing one great singer after another.

I do get a great charge out of Simon, not so much for his unkind words, but the bantering with Paula and Ryan. They do just crack me up.

Some of the people who come out for the auditons do just break your heart.

But overall, I really enjoy the show. But I do understand about the ridicule. I think they get immuned and don't realize how it is coming across. I also think with some of the people who come out they are trying to let them know that they will never be a singer. They don't want these people to be taken advantage of my someone filling their heads with false hope.

Sorry didn't mean to make this so long.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 07:59 PM
    It is okay and I understand what you are saying. Once those horrid audtions are over and the real competition begins, I find the show interesting. But that is a small part of the show. Lol. I do not like how Ryan Seacrest eggs the losers on in badmouthing Simon. But I guess it is all for ratings and the show sure has them, regardless of what Rosie on "The View" thinks (she is a whole different topic - lol).
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Rosie sure did have a busy couple of weeks... yikes LOL.

I have a feeling that Simon will tone it down after last week. I was a bit speechless with some of his "observations". But if you notice, they just flow out of his mouth, I really don't think he means any harm at all. It doesn't make it right, I know. But I did hear he apologized.

So we may see a more gentler loving Simon. Okay, that may be pushing it just a tad LOL
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jan 22, 2007, 08:16 PM
    I think it was all for attention and ratings that Rosie commented about Paula Abdula's drinking.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    To seemingly go out of one's way to mock someone's best efforts is not humor nor is it enjoyable.
    I agree.

Unfortunately, it's ratings. It's half of the reason why people watch these types of shows, so they can feel good about the fact that it's not them humiliating themselves on national television. I don't watch it, frankly it bores me. It's full of hidden agendas, which are pretty hard to get away from in modern television. If I want to watch someone humble themselves, all I have to do is go downtown and find someone holding up a cardboard sign begging for others to give them money or food. I can't sing worth a darn, and the people that go on to these types of shows, knowing they can't either, do it for exposure. It's pure desparation, and America loves it. Seeing how bad someone else is makes you feel better about yourself, right? Kind of like slowing down at an accident to see how bad somebody else got injured, instead of just getting the heck out of the way so the emergency crew can do their job.

So...

Finding new talent and appreciating it, I'm good with. The amusement at those who have no talent, I despise. Just my side of the fence, hope I didn't offend.
    wap Posts: 177, Reputation: 54

Jan 25, 2007, 02:58 AM
    Good programme, my mum watches it. The bad auditions are funny. Living in the UK, I don't know who the blonde woman is? She is one of the judges.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Oh my, Laugh my off every time I watch it. It is so so funny.

The start of American idol the guest judge was JEWEL, very popular singer. One of my favorites.

Joe
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jan 25, 2007, 05:26 AM
    I think it is a total waste of time. I have only watched three shows and just couldn't watch it anymore.
    My wife likes it though
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 12:55 AM
    What's American Idol?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Chuff you do not really know what american idol is?
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I got to tell you. Last nights show did break my heart. Especially for the girl who was just brought to tears. She was a very shy girl, on the heavy side and before she even started signing, all 3 of them were laughing. I cried right with the girl.

I think Simon, Paula And Randy, just get punky after awhile and I don't think they are trying to hurt anyone. They were even trying to cover up the fact that they were laughing.
    That was pretty bad.

On a lighter note, I will admit, I laugh when the contestants use the wrong door to leave. All night I heard in my sleep Simon's voice... '"Other door"... Other door... Other door.

Why don't they just post a sign on the darn door!!

But some of those girls last night were just awesome. The one just took my breath away.
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Feb 7, 2007, 02:34 PM
    I am a big fan. My family all get together at least one night that it is on and have an American Idol party. The game for PS2 is unbelievable fun too! I find myself getting as frustrated as Simon sometimes with the people that are so tone deaf that it hurts to listen, it makes me wonder why their families let them go in the first place!! LOL
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Last year at this time I predicted one of the guys would win. No big deal since it's 50/50.

I said my favorite was Tyler, but I predicted that Americans would not vote him as the best... I was wrong. Only when he stayed in until the top 12 did I predict he'd win.

I'll have to try again this year. Once they do their Hollywood stuff we'll have to start a new thread for predictions :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Too cool Rick I would love that!! Boy are some of those girls good though. My goodness!

Oh and yes... "other door"
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Feb 7, 2007, 02:49 PM
    I was just going to say that!! LOL, other door! That seems to be the theme this year! Did you see the one girl that ran right into and practically fell on the floor!! LOL oh my I am still laughing about that one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He likes me he likes me not [ 8 Answers ]

K this is the thing my best friend has this hot boyfriend and I have a huge crush on him really bad... but he has been hanging out with me and when we were whatching a movie school he moved closer and closer and I didn't mind but my friend did... and then she acussed him of cheating on her with me...

Anyone interested in CANADIAN Idol? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if any Americans or people in other countries get the Canadian version of Idol, but it starts this week on CTV and if anyone is interested in discussing it, I thought I'd start this thread. I enjoy it for the most part, except that I can't stand the host, Ben Mulroney! He is the son of...

American Idol - Who's it going to be? [ 14 Answers ]

So, who do you all think is going to win? Taylor or Katherine? My vote is Taylor, we need someone unique to win. :D

Any American Idol fans out there? [ 44 Answers ]

It's one of only 2-3 "network" TV shows we watch in my house... and for A.I. the eight of us are glued! I'm rooting for the Joe Cocker-ish fella, but am fairly sure he can't win.:( I predict the crooner was voted out yesterday. We'll find out tonight.

Help me please do you think he still likes me? [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my ex broke up 4 months ago because he thought I lied to him but really I didn't.but we still talk sometimes and I just talked to him online a few min ago and my pro is all about him and at the end I have I still love you a lot!. and his name he read it and was like why do you still like me...

View more questions Search