Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarahxoxox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 12:02 PM
    I might have OCD
    I think I have OCD. I don't have problems with messes or anything, but occasionally if I picture germs or something somewhere then I can't touch it. I sometimes imagine someone chasing me, or stalking me so I have to check behind me. Especially upstairs I imagine a giant spider coming after me. I sometimes imagine that I have a terminal illness or something and then I'm sure I have it. I get thoughts in my head like 'what would happen if I jumped out that window' or something like that and then I have to fight really hard to stop it. Then sometimes I think like 'if I don't get to that seat in 5 seconds then someone will die'. And I can't stop it. I get sexual images in my head as well. Also, sometimes I think I have some kind of bipolar issue because of how differently I act every day, but it's probably just horemones. I'm 14 and we have a school counsellor I think but I don't know her or anyone who has been to her. I don't want my friends to know. And if I tell my parents or my twin sister then they won't understand and think I'm putting it on. What should I do??
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 29, 2011, 12:07 PM
    You shouldn't assume your parents won't understand. I think you should speak up about how troubled you are, and ask them to make you an appointment to see the doctor. I'm sure that a school counselor would suggest the same thing, since this is really the one way to get your problem dealth with. Maybe you need to talk to a therapist, maybe you need medication, or both, but you need some professional attention and your parents are the ones who can get it for you. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

Mar 29, 2011, 12:37 PM
    Thank you for replying, but my parents don't even believe me when I'm physically ill. They would never believe any mental health issues. I want to go to my counsellor, but I don't want my friends and teachers to find out. I go to a small school and I don't want to be known as 'the ocd girl'. But thank you so much for replying. I've emailed some online counsellors but I haven't gotten any replies.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2011, 12:56 PM

Choice of your school counselor is a good one. Counselors will not, in fact, cannot disclose your personal information to anyone else. So your friends will not find out the reason for going there.

Your concern is very common. None of us want others to know our personal secrets. So mention that, first thing, to the counselor and they will explain to you the professional protections of confidentiality.

Seems as though you are aggressively pursuing assistance. That is a very good indicator. You will undoubtedly find the help you need, whether through school counselor or otherwise. Stick with it.

Mar 29, 2011, 01:00 PM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    Thank you for replying, but do you think I actually have OCD? Because one of my concerns is to go to the counsellor with something that's only in my mind
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2011, 01:16 PM

Sarah,

Psychological states are extremely complex. Based on the brief information you have provided it would be impossible, and most unfair to you, to attempt to classify your feelings into some psychiatric sub-grouping.

The key is that you are uncomfortable with your thoughts and have a feeling that something is wrong. It would be my advice to forget about labeling those feelings and simply describe them. Someone trained in counseling and/or psychotherapy will decide how to categorize them, if at all, but more importantly, they can assist in getting you back to feeling good about yourself and relieving the distress you are feeling... that's far more important than coming up with a name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I ocd? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I am almost 17 now. I remember for the last.. Well.. Lonnng time having weird feelings or thoughts that I have later come to know as possible OCD behaviour. If I touched one side of my face with my right hand, I would think there was a "score" or something, the right hand has one point,...

Help With My OCD [ 8 Answers ]

Well I have OCD. I pick my lip (sometimes) and really bite my nails. I don't bite my nails badly. Its just I hate my nails getting long and I hate seeing the white line on top of my nail. Strange I know. With my lip when I pick it it sometimes bleed. Like if my lips are chapped I have to pick them....

I think I have OCD, but I'm not sure. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently fifteen, almost sixteen. I'm in High school. Recently, I guess the pasr few month's to a year, I've been having these random thoughts run through my head... I try to control them as best I can, but I can't. The thoughts are sexual, sometimes it's like I'm trying to imagine how a...

I think I might have OCD [ 1 Answers ]

To give some backstory... I've always had this fear of spiders. At the end of last year I moved away for school. Back in March I moved into my own apartment out here and it's the first time I've lived by myself. Since the move I noticed my fear of spiders got worse. A lot worse. It got to a point...

View more questions Search