Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadjohns Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 05:42 AM
    Seating copper into fitting
    Do these fittings make a distinctive "snap" or other obvious indication that they have seated properly?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 06:33 AM

Hi Tad...

Regular copper fittings will bottom out onto copper tubing without any distinct noise... all is gauged on depth of the fitting.

Here, for example, when I clean a 1/2" tubing end with sandcloth I will clean it to a 1" length on the tubing end and then I will flux the bottom 3/4" and then push my tubing into the 1/2" fitting until it bottoms out. When I am finished I will see 1/4" of flux and a 1/2" of cleaned tubing above the fitting and this way I know I have my properly fitted the 1/2 tubing to fitting... ;)

Obviously, you can apply this to larger copper tubing in the same way.

More questions, just let us know, OK?

Mark
    tadjohns Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    I should have pointed out that I was referring to the gator fittings that require no soldering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to cap a copper water line: compression fitting or copper cap? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi all, Unsuccessfully tried to cap a copper water line by soldering a pre-soldered cap onto the end. Took all the proper steps, cleaned the ends of the pipe and fitting first, then applied flux around both. Wasn't quite sure what I should be heating, so I just heated everything. After my first...

Tips on copper compression fitting? [ 11 Answers ]

My problem is whenever I work with coppoer compression fittings, I never seem to get a good seal and something always leaks. Are there any tips on how to do it right? Should I use a hack saw verse my Reciprocating Saw to cut the tube? (SLow vs Fast). I know the cut has to be straight, then...

Leaky copper joint fitting [ 5 Answers ]

I am not a plumber, but I soldered a T-tting into a ½" copper pipe, using a propane torch. I used flux (which was 10 years old, does it expire?) but unfortunately, it has a slight leak because apparently not enough solder got into one of the joints. Then I tried to touch up by adding more solder,...

Reorienting a copper fitting [ 14 Answers ]

I have 3/4" copper water supply line that enters my house through the basement wall, makes a 90-degree turn and runs for a short distance horizontally, makes another 90 and goes vertical for a short distance, then through another 90 to horizontal where it goes through a pressure reducing regulator...

Copper Pipe Compression Fitting [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installing a dishwasher, I've never had one before so I am making all new pipe connections. I'm trying to add a t-fitting and then a valve to a copper water line to be able to turn off the dishwasher water supply while still being able to use the sink. I was told a T-compression would work. ...

View more questions Search