Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niwashikun Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence
    Hi,

We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal wood posts.

Do the metal posts need to be installed at the same time as the wood since I'll be using concrete? Or is there a way to install the metal posts later and still get them close to the wood posts?

Thanks,
    -N
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
    How far down will the post hole be for the wood post? If it's say 3', when it comes time for the steel post dig down until you hit the concrete of the wood post, use that as a base then pour concrete around the new steel post. If it doesn't seem stable drill threw the steel post and lag it to the existing wood post.
    niwashikun Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate your help,
    -N
    heatherg10 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 07:52 AM
    I have seen companies put wood between regular ornamental metal pickets on a standard metal fence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Erecting a wood fence on concrete [ 13 Answers ]

I have a chain link fence that is on a concrete retaining wall between my property and neighbour's property. It is about 3'-4' in height and I was originally thinking about attaching a wooden fence to the existing fence posts. The fence I would need to build would be 5'-6' in height and I think...

The fence [ 58 Answers ]

Should the United States build a fence along our southern border with Mexico?

Painting galvansied steel fence [ 1 Answers ]

Our garden is fenced with galvanised steel. It's very nice but the original black paint peeks off very quickly. I understand that when painitng on top of galvanising that you have to use the correct primer otherwise the paint will not 'key' to the zinc surface. Does anyone know what the correct...

Wood fence [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build a fence 8 ft tall and I am requested by the city engineered wind load calculations for 90 miles per hour, sustained for 3 seconds. How do I calculate this? Thanks for any help

Wood fence mounted on concrete wall [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy all. I want to put up a wood fence, mounted on top of an existing poured concrete wall that's about 2' tall. My question is about how to connect the wooden posts to the concrete securely. I was thinking of drilling into the concrete, setting maybe 3/4" threaded bolts (using bolt-setting...

View more questions Search