Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtreffe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Leak from second floor bath tub while filling.
    We are experiencing a leak from the second floor bathtub, but only while the water is running.

I have replaced the drain in the tub and filled the tub with water. No leak. But when we start to fill the tub after a minute it starts a steady drip, drip, drip, which has saturated the ceiling in the den below the tub.

I cut a hole in the ceiling where the damage was the worst and found that the drip was coming of off the short connecting piece between the pipe that empties the tub and where a vertical piece of PVC goes up (vertically) into the wall behind the tub. The water feels warm (not hot or cold) to the touch. I must confess I'm stumped.

Here's a rough diagram

!
    ! TUB DRAIN
    ! _ _______
    !
    !
    ________________! _____!
    __________________________!
    D
    R
    I
    P

:eek:

Thoughts? Suggestions??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2007, 04:22 PM
    It's not the drain that's leaking if it only leaks when the tub's filling. What you see is the water after it drips down from the faucet on the drain line. Focus on the tubs faucet. What's the brand name and type? One handle or two knobs. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

Shower leak when filling the tub [ 9 Answers ]

We have a shower that leaks by when filling the tub. 1)I have replaced the diverter 3 times 2)Unscrewed the diverter and turned on the water 3) Tried a inline valve and also a shower head valve and they both leaked by 4) Replaced the mixing station behind the wall None of these stopped the...

Water out of shower head when filling tub [ 3 Answers ]

We're in the process of renovating a bathroom and things are pretty close to being done, but we've noticed that that water comes out of the shower head when the tub is being filled. The set up is pretty simple... It starts with a thermostatic shower body (all fixtures by Paini - www.paini.it). The...

Slow Filling Whirlpool Tub [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in the process of buying a new home. During the home inspection it was noted the whirlpool tub in the master bath fills very slowly. By slowly I mean it took 10 minutes to get the water level above the jets. The water pressure is fine, 60 psi. I'm thinking there may be a flow restrictor...

View more questions Search