Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randyncrw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 01:42 PM
    Daughter and son in law won't make house payments
    Four years ago I bought a rental hse that I rented to my daughterand son in law. They are right now 24000 past due on the rent. My daughter does all she can do. But the son in law won't do what he needs to do to keep up things around the hse or work enough to pay the rent. We are at a lost . Can anyone give me some advice.and yes they are children involved. And yes we have had a lot of sitting down and talking to the both of them.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 01:52 PM

If you have sat down and talked, then kick them out so they learn a lesson in humility.

It is nice to have a free ride when so many others are suffering for lack of shelter.

Initiate some 'tough love' with your daughter.

Probably not the advice you wanted but it is my own opinion and mine alone.

Ms tickle
    randyncrw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
    What about the grandkids. I've tried to tell my wife this is what we need to do. And she keeps saying she will handle it and she never does. Bad thing about it is that we owe a mortgage on the hse. We've talked about if it were us instead of them we would have worked two jobs to take care of it. Its really putting a stress on us and our realatioship
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 02:38 PM

To be blunt, you need to sell this place and let the buyer evict them. You are not being an effective landlord and you should never rent to kin. You aren't gaining equity in this economy and you are going deeper in the red each month so sell now, even if its less than you paid. Maybe ask the bank if they'd do a short sale.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 28, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Ditto, ditto, and ditto.
    It costs nothing to sign with a real estate broker and have a sign in the lawn. Then start the eviction process. Do not accept any payments now, or any promises either. They will survive, even if apart from each other over this.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 04:33 AM

If it makes any difference to your daughter, who sounds afraid to bring matters up with her husband; put the ball in her court and tell her point blank, you just cannot afford to carry them in that house any longer. Give them a deadline that you can afford, maybe 30 days notice, and then put a sign on the lawn.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrepectful adult son and daughter in law [ 4 Answers ]

She moved in with my son in college and refused to move out. My husband and I paid for our 2 sons apartments while in college. She caused a dispute between them. Her mother did not know she had moved from the apartment she paid for her because she never visited. She lived in Memphis and we lived...

How to keep my daughter in law from ruining my relationship with my son? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is engaged to a girl .Ever since they got together two years ago he has not gotten along with any of his own family.She does not like it when he goes anywhere with us and he allows her to do and say anything she wants to us.He has changed so much for the worse! How do we resolve this...

Tough love for son and daughter-in law [ 1 Answers ]

I have a young adult son whose married with a child, he recently became incarcerated, but is due out soon, they live with us (spouse & siblings), however we no longer wish for them to live with us, however neither is employed, she receives disability. They have no where else to live and he has to...

Relationship with son and daughter in law [ 7 Answers ]

My son and I were once very close. We allowed them to live with us for several years. Then I went through a terrible divorce. My son felt he had to take care of me.He hates his father (and always has) I was a mess during this time. My son and daughter in law lived with me, I gave them the house. I...

I sold a friend a laptop and she agreed to pay it, but she won't make payments. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok.. a friend of mine agreed to pay two debts, one for wrecking my car and another for a laptop she has owed me money for. It has been on the laptop about a year and several months.. she has paid very little towards that.. and she agreed to pay for the damages to my vehicle when that occurred which...

View more questions Search