Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brettbri5694 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Divorce, Unborn Child with Unknown Father
    So my wife has been cheating on me and she decided that she wants to be with the man she is cheating with. She is pregnant and she got pregnant while we were married, but it might not be my child. So I guess I have a few questions to be answered, #1 Can I not sign the divorce papers until she gets a DNA test in the 8-13 week area of the pregnancy? #2 If it's not mine do I have to pay child support?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2011, 10:21 AM

A Physician has agreed to do DNA testing on the fetus? I'm surprised because it's a dangerous procedure. The Court will ask you/her if she's pregnant. If she says she is the Court will delay the divorce until the child is born and tested.

You need to consult with an Attorney. This varies by State.
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 28, 2011, 11:08 AM
    Are you thinking of the CVS sampling test they do for genetic problems, or an amnio? The amnio is never done before about 5 months; it carries some risk of a miscarriage and can't be done sooner. But, I'm certain you can't force her to have a test if she refuses. Then it requires waiting for the birth to get a DNA test which is safe, but which costs several hundred dollars and isn't covered by insurance.

You should consult with an attorney, because you would also need to make a plan for what to do if the child is ultimately yours.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2011, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by summer_girl View Post
    Are you thinking of the CVS sampling test they do for genetic problems, or an amnio? The amnio is never done before about 5 months; it carries some risk of a miscarriage and can't be done sooner. But, I'm certain you can't force her to have a test if she refuses. Then it requires waiting for the birth to get a DNA test which is safe, but which costs several hundred dollars and isn't covered by insurance.

You should consult with an attorney, because you would also need to make a plan for what to do if the child is ultimately yours.

In utero DNA can be performed as early as 12 weeks. I see it requested by Court Order on a fairly frequent basis.

No, you can't force in utero testing. You can force DNA testing after the child is born. It doesn't cost hundred of dollars in my area. It must be done in a Court-recognized facility in order to be recognized by the Court.

OP needs to consult an Attorney NOW so he will be prepared for any/all test results.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2011, 05:55 PM

In some states the husband of a pregnant woman is considered the putative (presumed) father of the child so what's involved depends on the laws where you are. However if someone else is established as the father, or you can prove it's not you, depending on the laws where you reside, you could be free from responsibility. You really need to talk to a family law attorney in your jurisdiction.

As for finalizing, it generally takes a while to get a divorce anyway, and you can certainly hold off pending the birth and establishment of paternity of the baby. You can separate in the meantime and can work on resolving other matters like the sale of your marital residence, division of assets and so on, and ask the court to reserve judgment on maintenance pending outcome of paternity testing on the child. Again, a lot depends on jurisdiction.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2011, 02:06 PM

You really need to consult with a good divorce attorney NOW. He/She will guide you in the right direction to ensure that you aren't stuck paying child support for another man's baby.
    temperence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 06:10 AM
    My brother's wife is pregnant by another guy. The pregnancy took place while they were still legally married. How does establish non parenthood. Is the cooperation of the biological father necessary?
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2012, 06:35 AM
    There is absolutely no one who knows this better than GV70 - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ry-344695.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About unborn child in divorce [ 4 Answers ]

I 'm in savannah ,GA .My husband wants to divorce me now while I 'm 4 month pregnant.He is in the army and this is belongs to "Military divorce". I called military Divorce Assistance and they told me that there is no way he can divorce me until the baby was born. It is the law that made for...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Unborn child and a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I was with child. The problem is I am going to be going through a divorce. I know he does not want the baby, I do. He will give me full custody with no fight. The thing is I would like him to (I am sure he would love this also) sign over prental rights of the child. The question is...

Divorce and unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband recently filed for divorce because he can not deal with the legal issues my first husband is putting us through. WE have a child that is due in December but he wants to give up his rights so I won't be in his life, but the catch is that he wants me to sign a consent decree stating that...

View more questions Search