Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outtaorder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
    Integrity of Chiropractor
    background:I am in my early twenties and have never had any accidents or injuries, but decided to go to a chiropractor after my lower back spontaneously went out and left me in severe and increasing pain for a few days. The doctor I called told me to come in for x-rays, consultation, and (if I decided) an adjustment all of which would be free due to a promotion he was having at the time for new patients. I learned that I had what he considered severe scoliosis, and should start regular visits to treat and maintain my spinal subluxations. I had no health insurance at the time, and he told me he would treat me at $35/visit (a $10 discount from his normal fee). I agreed and received adjustments 2-4 times/week for over a month, paying $35 cash at each visit. The first 3 visits took the edge off my pain, but it was still chronic and kept me from my previous lifestyle. Then one day, a month and a half into my treatment, I was presented with a nearly $2000 check from a collection my coworkers had been gathering, to give to the chiro for my continued care (as I was still out of work as advised by the chiro and running low on funds). The money was left in his office, and he was to deduct the $35 for each visit. However after 3 months of very regular visits, when I was still in pain 24/7, (often worse after an adjustment)unable to work, lift things, or even bend my torso in any direction, I realized I should stop spending precious time and money on something that wasn't improving me. I stopped visiting this chiro and left the remaining funds in my account at his office while I tried to decide my next step, whether it be a new chiro, orthopedic surgeon, etc. I did my research this time and found a chiropractor that could really work for me, had a consultation with, and decided to stick with. However when I went to the original chiro to get my remaining money, he said I had exhausted all the funds, and gave me this itemized receipt, a packet with dates and treatments with outrageous prices tags we had never even discussed. He went back and charged me over $300 dollars for the 1st visit (which as a mentioned before, was supposed to be free), charged me $45 for each adjustment (even adding his extra $10 fee onto adjustments I had already paid $35 out of pocket for in the 1st month), then for most dates, in addition to the $45 adjustment fee, had separate fees for manual therapy, $40, therepeutic excercis, $40, myofascial release, $50, ice/heat $10! I was never told he was doing these things let alone that all of a sudden I would be charged for them separately! Visits that had always been an understood flat $35, suddenly turned on paper into itemized, individually and overly-priced "treatments". In other words, when I asked for the rest of my money, which should have been, under the original verbal agreement, nearly $1500, the chiropractor went out of his way to make it look like I had spent every dime of it in the 30 total visits I attended, (visits ranging in price from $85-305). I know for a fact that no other patient pays anything near these prices, as I had I few friends and family members attending the same doctor. I know this was done out of spite or greed and I was just wondering what I should/could do about it, is it legal? What should I know before I confront the doctor? etc. I am still not able to work full time and still need some sort of care for my back. This doctor who at first seemed so honest and nurturing practically stole money that was raised by my friends and coworkers for my health. Its been 7 months since my back started hurting and I just want to get back to my old self without a mature licensed doctor making it worse.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 01:49 PM

I will admit I have not read through all of this. It appears that you were charged more than you agreed to be charged AND some treatment was to be paid in advance but the money is gone.

Am I right?

Why do you think this was done out of spite? Greed I would understand. Patients move from Doctor to Doctor all the time.

My opinion would be that he gave you a reduced rate because you had little money for treatment. You then had money for treatment (through a collection at work). It would make sense for your appointments after that to be at the full rate because you could afford to pay. He cannot go back and charge more for previous visits.

Your option? Take him to Small Claims Court. You can also report him to the Licensing Board.

Did you sign a treatment plan with Doctor #1?

If he made you worse and you can prove it (through another medical professional's testimony) consider a malpractice suit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 03:01 PM

I guess my question, each time you visited, did you not get a receipt that showed that days changes and the balance left ?

But yes if they run electric shock, or do other things like heat or cold, all the ones I went to, always had additional charges, their base charge is merely for the office visit and manual adjustement.

Mar 27, 2011, 03:16 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    "Why do you think this was done out of spite? Greed I would understand. Patients move from Doctor to Doctor all the time." Just from casual conversation during my 3 months of visits I could tell this doctor was very confident and proud in his methods, which is reassuring, but I started to get the impression that it was to the point of being cocky and feeling superior to all other doctors, chiropractors and otherwise. He would even get upset to hear that I had taken cold medicine or an antibiotic for an ear infection I developed and would talk me out of taking medicine again, saying that he could cure it with adjustments and would give me his own recipes for such ailments (which didn't help). So I think that when I left his 'care' it just hurt his pride and he took it way too personally and became spiteful.

Mar 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
    "...some treatment was to be paid in advance but the money is gone....It would make sense for your appointments after that to be at the full rate because you could afford to pay. He cannot go back and charge more for previous visits." No, payment was never asked for in advance. His patients pay daily, weekly, or monthly. I just gave him the lump sum of money because getting well was my first priority and I wanted to use the collection only for my back, I calculated that it should cover the cost of my visits for many months (he told me at the consultation I should go regularly for a year which would cost $3000 overall. How then was $2000 spent in 2 months?) So it was my choice to give him the lump sum, as I could easily have deposited it in my own bank account and continued paying $35 a day. But anyway, I would completely understand if he increased his rates to his regular $45 per visit for the 18 I had after I gave him the $2000.

Mar 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
    "You can also report him to the Licensing Board". I was considering this, which is why I posted, I don't know what's legal and what's not and if I even have a case here. Also, I don't remember everything I signed the day I went in, as I was in such pain and just in a rush for treatment, and the chiro has been so reluctant to give me paperwork I requested. It took 4 days of begging for him to give me my records (which the new doc wanted to see) and I know its not even my whole file. Its basically the medical history form I filled out the first day changed into paragraph form in his own words to fill up 2 pages. And he's left many messages on my phone, asking for the x-rays back. Something's just very shady.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 04:11 PM

Hello out:

Take him to small claims court and make your case. It's quick, cheap and easy.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 04:32 PM

Please take a look at the site rules - it is impossible to follow what you posted when you quote me and then add your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chiropractor violated my privacy act.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident almost one year ago next week. I was seeing my chiropractor that I've seen before the car accident. One day I went in and he asked me who hit me and I told him I didn't want to tell him. So a couple day's go by and he told me he knew who hit me. Now at this time he tells...

Chiropractor Overcharging [ 4 Answers ]

I overstretched my lower back muscles in yoga class. I went to a local chiropractor. I had x-rays taken and he gave me four so-called treatments of putting an ice pack on my back with a slight electric vibration for not more than 15 minutes each session. That treatment did nothing for my condition....

Green card application for chiropractor [ 1 Answers ]

I am a chiropractic doctor with H1B and I am considering to apply for the green card based on employment. I want to ask usually how much it would cost for the whole procedure? What is the minimum salary for chiropractic in CA (LA) to be qualified for applying the green card? Thanks.

Back pain doctor or chiropractor? [ 6 Answers ]

I was bending over for about two or three minutes, I tried to get up but couldn't do it normally. It hurt like you know what! I can lay in bed and lift my knees to my chest, I CANNOT lift my leg up when it is straight. I bend over and it hurts tremendously and if I get up from a sitting...

View more questions Search