Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyndsaykylee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
    Math
    Amita wants to make a mold for a candle.she wants the shape of the candleto be a rectagular prism with a volume of exactly 23 cubic centimeters. She want the sides to be whole centimeters.how many different moldcan she make?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 27, 2011, 03:25 PM
    The volume of a rectangular prism is l x w x h (length x width x height). 23 is a prime number, meaning that its only factors are 23 and 1. Therefore, if you want three integers to multiply together to form 23, the only possibility is 23, 1, and 1 (in any order).

That last statement in parentheses is what makes this question ambiguous. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I'd like to slap whoever wrote it. If she was making bricks, for example, there would be no difference what dimension she chose to be height, length, or width. A brick from a 23 x 1 x 1 mold would be indistinguishable of a brick from a 1 x 23 x 1 mold or a 1 x 1 x 23 mold (note that the numbers are in different orders). Therefore, the answer would be that she could make only one mold. This is probably the answer that your teacher is expecting.

However, if you know how to make candles (which has basically NOTHING to do with learning math), you know that the candle's wick comes out of the top of the mold. That means she could make one mold that was 23 cm high, and 1 cm wide and long (i.e. a tall skinny candle), and she could make a second mold that was only 1 cm high and 1 cm long, but 23 cm wide (i.e. a short, really wide candle). The third possibility, with a height and width of 1 cm, and length (a.k.a. depth) of 23 cm would result in a short, skinny, really deep candle. However, in my opinion, once removed from the mold the second and third option would be indistinguishable from each other. So I would say the real answer is that she could make two different molds.

Unfortunately, your teacher can argue that the answer is only one mold, or that it's two, or that it's three. This is why I HATE stupid ambiguous questions like this! They only serve to confuse the students who are supposed to be learning. You could be the best mathematician on the planet, and you're still reduced to having to read the mind of whoever wrote the question.[/soapbox]
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2011, 05:18 AM

Kudoes, JCaron. I couldn't agree more.

I tried giving you a rep, but it will not let me. Some silliness about "spreading it around". I don't know how to take that:)
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 28, 2011, 06:19 AM
    Thanks! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To take math or not to take math? Warning:long [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I need some advice. I'm currently a high school junior, and I am HOPELESS at mathematics. I've always managed to scrape by with 65s, and trust me its not lack of effort, I try really hard. All my other grades are over 90s, with the exception of sciences which are in the high 80s. Last year I...

Which math is easier- college algbera or liberal arts math? [ 2 Answers ]

What math is easier- college algbera or liberal arts math?

Math 10 [ 2 Answers ]

Andrea, Fred, and Brian leave a dock and sail 10km at a bearing of 090degrees to a fishing spot. After fishing for a while, they sail on a bearing of 210 degrees to another spot 6 km away. The boat travels at 15 km/h. If the time is now 3:30 P.M. how long can they continue to fish at this...

I need math skills on this math problems [ 6 Answers ]

81 divided by 3726.83 divided by 3158

Math [ 1 Answers ]

20 children on basket ball court 3 wearing white shirts what fraction are wearing white shirts? What fraction are not?

View more questions Search