Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 04:30 AM
    Bob Herbert's "Lost our way" column
    As someone looking from the outside in this column seems to capture what's been going on in the USA:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/op...bert.html?_r=1

It's a good read.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 05:29 AM
    Typical progressive pablum.

I was at Home Depot Friday and they had one checker. Another employee who was trying to help with his hand-held scanner was making conversation with me and I said the one thing I've always hated about this store is the lack of checkers. He said they had just interviewed 50 something people and of the 3 that were offered the job, 2 couldn't pass a drug screen and the other didn't show up.

We had an article in our paper a few days ago that showed a huge shortage of truck drivers in this country. Freight is sitting on docks because they can't hire enough truck drivers.

There are jobs out there.

Herbert said, "the current maldistribution of wealth is also scandalous." According to who? Since when was it someone else's job in a free country to distribute wealth? If the left would stop their social engineering games and get out of they way, this country would thrive again.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 05:46 AM

1st Frank Rich and now Bob Hebert leaving the Slimes . Like rats abandoning ship.

I guess that was inevidible when the Slimes decided their content was so good that they could charge a fee on line for it.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    1st Frank Rich and now Bob Hebert leaving the Slimes . Like rats abandoning ship.
    He's writing a book, what are you doing?

inevidible
    inevitable
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 06:00 AM

I agree with some of the parts being said in the article. We do need to start teaching our children again and stop the social engineering that's been going on. People are going to fail and sometimes really bad. Not allowing our children to fail and having them learn from it is coming back to bite us in the rear. We have a nation of spoiled bratty children that have no respect for those around them. Its part of the "me" attitude that has been bred into them by a depleted school system.

And in recent times when there were layoffs the ones that were a drag on the system got let go first. So its no wonder they aren't getting rehired. Not everyone that faced layoff or closure of a business is like that but many were. The continuing extension of unemployment isn't helping either. If you can collect the same money sitting at home as you can going to work then why work ?

America neeeds to return to its roots of pride. When my parents bought furniture it had lasted long enough to pass along to the kids. Today there isn't even anything close to that attitude going on. Almost everything is throw away even the american worker. Trade unions used to teach workers how to do it right. Now it seems its about doing it as cheap as possible and not caring about the outcome. Trickle economics goes both ways. Most people don't have an eye on the future and are stuck in the past. In today's times we need to be inovative and creative and raise our own self value for the job market of today. Think about that the next time you take your car in for service and get a big bill. As the comercial says it almost is rocket science compared to the old days. The balance being quality comes with a price tag. Its up to the consumer to pay it. Coporate will follow if the consumer demands it.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Coporate will follow if the consumer demands it.
    I think that touches the biggest issue: corporate is dictating everything.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I think that touches the biggest issue: corporate is dictating everything.
    But that's the nature of business ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 06:22 AM
    He's writing a book, what are you doing?

inevitable
    Well yeah... that's his profession... whereas I do this as an amateur ;unedited ,with typos ,bad grammar ,spelling errors and all.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    But thats the nature of business ;)
    As long as you're OK with your public office people voting to please their corporate contributors then you get what you get. :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 08:56 AM

I am an optimist, and there ain't that much money in the world to sustain rich folks telling poor folks they deserve to be poor, and there is nothing we can do about it. Current events through out the world bear that out as the poor folks are telling their elected, or dictated masters they ain't happy. Even in Canada

No confidence vote for Canada's Harper and Conservatives
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 08:59 AM
    I don't think our non-confidence vote represents the will of the people, the cabinet ministers want to get rid of a bully.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
    I don;t think our non-confidence vote represents the will of the people, the cabinet ministers want to get rid of a bully.
    Exactly my point, Everyone around the world is rallying against bully's having their way.

Come on NK, not so smug, though I do like some of the progressive ways Canadians handle their business, and take care of their citizens. What a novel idea, politicians actually fighting each other without the people raising a finger. How does that happen??
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 10:15 AM

Lol . I posted an OP on the upcoming Canadian elections... a complete waste of time and money in my view.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ws-565211.html
    How much money will this cost the taxpayers of Canada to get a new majority Conservative government ?

The no-confidence vote appears to be petty politics from this side of the border .
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
    ... a complete waste of time and money in my view.
    Yep, a lot of canadians seem to agree with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Drill Command "Column right (left), MARCH" [ 3 Answers ]

I know most of the drill commands but I am having a little trouble with the "Column right (left), MARCH" command. Can someone help me with how to perform this command? If you can find a video that would be great, video help would be the best.

Use of a "chorus line" of a song by Bob Marley to print onto a shirt... [ 10 Answers ]

Hello! Would anyone know if it is illegal to print a paragraph or phrase or chorus of one of Bob Marley's songs onto a shirt to sell for retail? Thanks, sky68

My message "flag" column in my in-box disappeared [ 3 Answers ]

In myOutlook Express In-box there are are normally 3 columns to the left of "sender". The column which shows flags is normally used to mark a message that one wants to attend to later. I have many messages which I have flagged in the past, but the column which displays them no longer appears...

View more questions Search