Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 10:26 AM
    **Recipe Sharing**
    Ok this is where I want you all to share your recipes here with everyone,

What we want is those recipes you know you can't live without those ones that have been with you that you can adapt or just keep as they are.
    Go on make us drewl and head out to the market to buy the ingredients I know a lot of us here don't have much time to cook when we get in from work or from looking after the kids all day so here's where to share your tips and goodies.

Looking forward to reading and sharing

As always love and hugs

Laura xx
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Great idea CBW - Here's my contribution:

Spinach Casserole

1 frozen spinach package
    2 cups of cooked minute rice
    Velvetta Cheese
    Butter
    Bread crumbs *seasoned preferred
    Salt
    Pepper

Okay you ready? Just make the spinach as it tells you on the frozen package. Drain the spinach. Put spinach in a casserole dish and add just a little butter, some bread crumbs, salt & Pepper.

Slice up some of the velvetta cheese and mix with the spinach and then add the rice.

Mix all of the above together. Then, slice some more of the Velvetta cheese and lay it on the top of the spinach mixture. Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in a 350 deg oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese on top is melted and casserole is nice and warm.

Pretty simple huh? But sooo good.

Enjoy!!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 22, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Thank goodness it's almost lunch time!

Just want to point out that "recipes" aren't always raw ingredients! Adding tuna and garlic and a can of peas to mac'n'cheese is a recipe too! I'd love to have new ways to serve old classics like that, since that's sometimes all I have the energy/time to prepare.

My Mother's Lasagna:

1 lb ground beef (or Italian sausage, if you like it spicier), browned
    2 - 8oz cans Hunt's Special Sauce (or tomato sauce if you can't find it. I use oregano and garlic flavor, personally)

Mix these two ingredients together, set aside.

1 (8 0z? Standard size) pkg cream cheese
    1 16 oz package sour cream

Mix together until smooth. Set aside.

You will also need 1 lb mozzerella cheese, grated, and cooked lasagna noodles (about 8).

In an ungreased 9x13 cake pan, layer in the following order:

lasagna noodles
    hamburger mix
    cream cheese mix
    cheese.

You should be able to get 2 layers of each into the pan. Warning! Be skimpy on the meat mixture on your first layer, or you won't get a second layer!

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown. Serves 8 easily, usually more.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Ok I'm going to have to do a thred for conversions to aren't I this might get a little confusing otherwise lol
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Ok im gonna have to do a thred for conversions to arent i this might get a lil confusing otherwise lol

LOL CBW - I forgot about the conversions. Oooh I'm sorry.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    LOL CBW - I forgot about the conversions. Oooh I'm sorry.
    Don't worry about it ill get a chart up because you won't understand half of my recipes either ;)
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 12:51 PM
    How about coca cola Ham...

Buy your ham joint and place in a Large pot and I mean Large you need to cover the ham with full fat coke don't try diet it doesn't work place a peeled onion in and bring to the boil once the liquid is boiling turn down to a gentle simmer and leave to cook depending on the size of the ham is the cooking time but I'm pretty sure you know how to boil a ham right your just doing it in cola instead of water or stock.

So your hams cooked take it out of the pot by now the cola should have evaporated quite nicely bring it back to the boil and let it boil out till its thick and goey this take a while but for heavens sake don't walk away if it totally caramelises your buggered your pan when the cola is all goey and thick poor over the ham and serve.

One thing I will say is DON'T use non stick pan lol it will go to pan heaven if you do.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Feb 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
    I'll share some good ones too. Before I do is there any interest for anything made on a BBQ grill too? Or just in the kitchen recipes?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 13, 2007, 03:27 PM
    KMS all recipes are gladly accepted especially if they taste gooooood ;)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 03:27 PM
    New ideas for dinner are great, regardless of their form!
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KMSRyana
    I'll share some good ones too. Before I do is there any interest for anything made on a BBQ grill too? Or just in the kitchen recipes?

Oh yes please KMS, love BBQ recipes :)

Feb 13, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Here's one of my favorites... it's fast, easy, and quite tasty. Sorry for the lack of conversion for those who need them...

Pollo Picata (Chicken Picata)

Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 large lemons
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 8oz jar of artichoke hearts
    8-10 cloves of garlic, minced
    1/2 cup white wine (I prefer a dry one with this recipe)
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup capers
    3-4" deep skillet with cover

Cooking:

Pound chicken breasts flat to about 1/4" thick with a meat mallet or wood mallet, I like to put them in celophane (sp?) and pound them flat starting from the middle of the breast working out to the edges to avoid splitting. Brown the breasts in a skillet using 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat, about 3 minutes each side, remove breasts and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and put remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet, adding onion and garlic, stir and cook until onions are translucent. Squeeze in juice from one lemon and add artichoke hearts and stir until it returns to a sizzle. Add wine, water, and squeeze in the juice from the other lemon, bring to a low boil. Add chicken to the skillet and cover with capers. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let simmer for 6-7 minutes. Remove chicken and serve by spooning the sauce over the chicken. Excellent with steamed spinach and linguine as side dishes.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 04:44 PM
    I love this idea! Here is my contribution:

Spaghetti Corn

1 cup broken raw spaghetti noodles
    1/4 cup milk
    1 - 15 oz can cream corn
    1 - 15 oz can whole kernel corn (with juice) (can also use mexican corn)
    1 cup Velvetta Cheese - cubed
    1 small can french fried onion rings

Spray a 2 quart baking dish - does not matter if it is round or square. Layer ingredients in the given order, topping with the french fried onion rings.

Bake 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Feb 13, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Ok here's one for Backened Pork Chops on a BBQ grill... no name, I sort of just made it up, but it's really good.

I take 4 boneless pork loin chops (cut thick about 1 1/2" thick) and place them in a one gallon ziplockbag, arranging them so the meat is lined on the bottom of the bag and heavily coat both sides with garlic powder. I do it in the bag, rather than coating them then placing them in the bag, so I retain the powder that doesn't coat to the meat. Let it sit for about one hour, turning once so the meats natural juices will allow the garlic powder to adhere evenly. Then I do the same thing with Cayenne pepper, heavily coating each side, letting sit for an an hour, turning once. Then I add low salt soy sauce until it's about 1/3 of the way up the meat when the bag is upright (it's about half a cup). I squeez all the air out of the ziplock and seal it. Let it sit for a couple of hours, turning it a few times and kneading the bag to evenly coat the meat... it'll form kind of a paste with a little excess sauce. I light my grill and leave it on high heat, letting it preheat for about ten minutes. Right after I light the grill I add about 3 tablespoons of oil to the bag, I use olive oil because it's healthier for you, but any will do, corn oil, vegatable oil, etc. After the grill is hot I place the chops on the grill and close the cover. They need to cook about 20 minutes on high heat, and you'll need to turn them 3-4 times. When you turn them I coat the up-side of the meat with the remaining sauce, you'll need to shake the bag to mix the sauce as the oil will separate from the leftover paste. I simply pour it over the meat an put a light coat on it and usually run out on my last turn of the meat. Be careful when you add the sauce because it will cause the grill to flare up a little, but that's what give it the nice blackened coat. It goes really well with long grain wild rice or spanish rice and I like it with steamed fresh green beans too.

Feb 27, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Oh yes please KMS, love BBQ recipes :)
    And where are the return recipes? LOL :)
    Midnight_Angel Posts: 79, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2007, 01:43 AM
    OK! I have a few recipes to share. If anyone tries one let me know what you think. Thanks ;)
    Awesome Potato Deluxe

Ingredients

2 lbs of frozen chunked hashbrowns
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1/4 lb of melted butter
    1 cup diced onions (optional)
    1 medium container of sour cream
    8 oz of shredded cheddar (more to preference)
    2 cups of cornflakes

Method

~ Thaw hashbrowns for 30 min
    ~ Preheat oven to 350F
    ~ Mix everything except cornflakes in large bowl
    ~ Spoon into casserole dish
    ~ Bake uncovered for 30 min
    ~ Top with cornflakes and cook for another 20-30 min
    ~ Enjoy!!

Another one:
    Red Pepper Purée

Ingredients:

6-10 Large Red Peppers (1 green and 2 yellow as well)
    1/2-1 Eggplant
    1 Cup each of diced carrots, onions and celery
    1-2 Cups of beef stock
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

~ Preheat oven to 400F
    ~ Roast peppers until skin is black, leave to cool.
    ~ Turn oven to 350F
    ~ Roast salt and peppered eggplant until soft. 5-10 min, set aside.
    ~ Peel blackened skin from cooled peppers, core and slice.
    ~ Lightly sweat mirepoix.
    ~ Purée all solid ingredients and some warmed stock.
    ~ Put into pot, add stock for desired thickness.
    ~ Finish heating and serve.

More:
    Crab Cakes

Ingredients

1/4 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup minced red pepper
    30g flour
    30g butter
    75ml milk
    150g cool mix crab
    ~~ Season with green onions, worchestshire, lemon juice, tabasco and dijon.**
    *** Breadcrumbs to coat.

Method

~ Shred crab and chop.
    ~ In a saucepan melt butter--- add onion and red pepper, season with salt, gently sweat.
    ~ Add flour and cook roux, cool in water.
    ~ Add milk and beat with a wooden spoon.
    ~ Add seasonings**
    ~ Mix crab into batter. Refridgerate.
    ~ Shape into cakes and roll in breadcrumbs.
    ~ Deepfry.

Last one lol:
    Mexican Dip

Ingredients

1 lb of ground beef
    1 package of taco seasoning
    1 can of refried beans
    1 6oz jar of taco sauce
    8-10oz of shredded cheddar cheese
    1 medium container of sour cream
    Chopped lettuce and tomatoes to top
    ~~ Nacho chips for dipping
    ~~~~ Optional jalepanos and other spicy toppings.

Method

~ Preheat oven to 350F
    ~ Cook ground beef according to standard
    ~ Drain beef
    ~ Season with taco seasoning according to package
    ~ Mix taco sauce and refried beans
    ~ Layer beef then beans into a casserole dish
    ~ Top with cheese
    ~ Bake for aprox 30 min
    ~ Remove from oven and cool for 5 min
    ~ Top with sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes
    ~ Serve with taco chips
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 25, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Recipe sharing
    Hi. I just wanted to share a recipe... Creamy Italian Chicken in the Crock Pot

2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
    Cut in bite sized pieces
    1/2 stick butter
    4oz cream cheese
    1 can chopped green chillies
    1 package Italian salad dressing mix
    1 can golden mushroom soup (you can use cream mushroom, but golden is better)
    1/2 cup water

Place chicken in slow cooker (I season it with seasoned salt or whatever you choose)
    Combine all ingredients except water. Spoon mixture over chicken. Pour water over top. Do not stir. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve over rice or noodles. I personally love spinach fettucine noodles-they are pretty and have a unique flavor.

Tip: For those of you who don't know this already-room temp cream cheese is easier to handle

This is so easy and yummy for the tummy!!
    tsc11bball Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 12:11 PM
    The Best SPINACH DIP in the WORLD!. at least everyone that tries it thinks so...
    *1 package of frozen chopped spinach... defrost and drain
    *Half of a small onion... chopped fine
    *I can of cream of chicken soup
    *Half a block of Velveeta
    *1 stick of butter

-Melt butter in skillet, then carmelize onions... then place spinach in the pan to give it a hint of an onion flavor, then cream of chicken... stir... melt cheese in microwave with a little bit of milk... then pour in... stir well then place in crock pot... and there you go!. if you like it let me know... [email protected]
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I love spinich but I've never thought of putting it in a dip can you describe what velveeta is for us english folk please :D
    tsc11bball Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Its like a type of american cheese... do they not sell it where you live... its in a box about 8-9 inches long

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Recipe Swap! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all... I was just wondering if you would like to share your most loved recipe? I thought with people from all over the world, it might be nice to get some new ideas. It can be a main dish, dessert, salad, appetizer or whatever. Anyone? ;) I will have to decide on mine and then come...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

Looking for a recipe. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. We're looking for a cabbage recipe that we once had that was made with shredded cabbage, farmer's cheese, and some other ingredients. It was made in a frying pan and was very much like a pierogi filling. Does anyone have any idea how to make this recipe? Thanks. Dave.

Looking for your best FUDGE recipe [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have a really "great" recipe for fudge? Not the kind you have to use a candy thermometer with, more of a easier one. I'd like to make some for Christmas gift giving, one you have tasted and know its great. Thanks :)

Bero recipe [ 14 Answers ]

I'd like to make flapjacks with cornflakes instead of oats. Somebody told me the recipe is in a Bero cookbook. Can any of you help me? Wildflower

View more questions Search