Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 02:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedinSC
    Coca Cola is great on game too. But, speaking of game...If you haven't tried buffalo you don't know what you are missing. add some Inglehoffer's stone ground mustard, caramelized onions and crumbled gorgonzola cheese to any buffalo product...and i don't mean the city...and you got good eats!

We have a water buffalo farm not far from us here in the uk its OK but I prefer a beef fillet
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Hi Laura: Took your advise ;) Thanks.

Best ever ROASTED ONION SOUP WITH GRUY'ERE AND SWISS CHEESE.

3-4 leeks (cut in half, then 1" slices)
    2 large red onion (thin slice)
    2 large vidalia onion (thicker slice)
    4 cloves garlic (thin slice)
    2tbl. Olive oil
    1/2tsp salt or to taste
    1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
    1 tsp dried thyme (or 1tbl fresh)
    1.5 cups dry red wine
    8 cups beef broth
    Baguette bread
    1/2 cup grated gruy'ere cheese
    1/2 cup grated swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 450 F
    In large roasting pan toss, leeks, onions, garlic, oil, thyme, and salt and pepper all together and roast in oven for 30 minutes (stir at 15 minutes).

Then add wine to deglaze pan and flavor onions... roast in oven an additional 15 minutes.

Then add all to stock pot on stove top and bring to med. High heat. Then simmer with loose cover for 30 minutes... stirring occasionally.

Transfer soup to heat safe bowls with handles, top with toasted baguette slices and gruy'ere and swiss cheese... Broil in oven and serve when cheese golden brown.

Hope you like... ;) Take care all! Mark
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 03:09 AM
    Mark thanks for posting it hunny bens eyes lit up last night when he read it guess what ill be making soon ;) xx
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Let me know... ;)

Think this was a great idea... I will work through the recipes here myself, try some for sure... some looked really good.

I may even post one of my other favorites... shrimp in lobster sauce. It took me a long time to find a really good recipe, but found one, tweeked it and finally... restaurant quality lobster sauce... yummy!

Take care... Mark
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 04:04 AM
    Share away Mark share away I've fallen behind on a lot of stuff here sadly but that's what happens when you have a toddler and a new born hehehehe
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Have I got a recipe for you.

I love my slow cooker, it makes life easier for me at dinner time.

Sausage and Potatoes

1 28oz. Can whole tomatoes in juice
    1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 1/4 lb. sweet or hot Italian sausage
    2 medium size all purpose potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch moons
    1 medium size onion, cut into wedges
    2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
    3/4 Cup shredded pepper-jack cheese

Directions:
    1. Add tomatoes and their juice to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Break apart tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper flakes.
    2. Tuck sausages down into sauce. Add potatoes, zucchini and onion. Cover. Cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours.
    3. Uncover pot and remove sausages. Slice into 1 inch thick coins, and return to mixture, stirring gently, along with the bread crumbs. Serve in bowls;sprinkle each with shredded cheese.

This is so yummy, it surprised me. I think you will really like it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 03:06 AM
    Gawd that's just made me feel really hungry and its only 10am here lol
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Working all day and being single takes a lot of fun out of cooking... and leads to a drawer full of take out and delivery places.

Every once in a while I'll get in the mood for manicotti or french onion soup... mmm...

This is one of my favorite "cheats"... Tyson Foods: Product Center: Pork Roast Kit with Vegetables all you have to do is throw everything in the crockpot and leave for a few hours. Its divine! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 01:16 AM
    Oh my HC that is so lazy have you tried buying the items separately and seeing if its cheeper??
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 07:47 AM
    LOL! Yes, its lazy... but I cook for myself... rather than buying one potato, one carrot, one onion, one... so on... its much easier to just buy that. :)

Believe me CBJ, I can make a six course meal... when I want to. Heck, I am even a Wilton method 1,2, and 3 level instructor and have made several professional wedding cakes. When its just me? Bring on the laziness! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Ah if its just yourself I can't say I blame you id get shot if I tried that now though lol
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 02:04 PM
    :) lol...

A couple of weeks ago it didn't matter if it was just me or not! I woke up on a Saturday morning absolutely CRAVING manicotti. So... I made an entire pan! It was great because it took care of lunches for the next week... and by golly, did it taste scrumptious!

I worked at a small, authentic Italian Bistro while I was in grad school and came out with many Italian "secret" recipes! :D
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 02:17 AM
    Yay I have a fair few my nan used to live next door to a real old italian mama I used to love going there to stay and helping her in the kitchen the women was forever cooking its certainly a region of great food absolutely stonking wine if you ask me ;)
    shaadow Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Fish and vegetable rice,

Salmon (any kind) buy salmon which is pink and has an even color. I use the frozen ones. Do not thaw the fish if it is frozen.

One lime

Some olive oil

3 cups of rice

1 bouquet of dill

1 clove of garlic

2 table spoon salt

This dish takes about 45 minutes to one hour to prepare.

Set the oven temperature at 450 F

First start with the rice:
    Fill a 4 liter pot with 3 liters of water and cover with the lid and bring it to boil (maximum heat).
    While the water is on the stove to boil prepare the dills:

Wash the dills and drain the water a little bit. Then chop them together with the garlic clove in a food processor for about a minute or so, so that they are cut into tiny pieces (you can as well use a knife and cut them but they have to be very very small pieces).

Rinse the rice several times with lukewarm water and add it to boiling water together with 2 table spoon salt, and simmer (keep the lid off the pot) and stir now and then for about ten minutes or until the rice grains are tender (BUT be careful not too soft) it is a bit tricky, usually when the rice grains start jumping up and down in the boiling water and come on the surface of the water it is the right time to drain the rice into a colander. If it is too soft the grains will stick to each other. The time depends on the type of rice. For basmati rice it takes usually longer ( you can soak the rice for about 2 hours in salty water so that they grow longer and empty the soak water and rinse once before cooking). After you drain the rice, put the pot back on the stove and reduce the heat to a little bit lower than the medium ( if you imagine it as a clock put it on 8 o'clock position for electric stoves) grease the bottom of the pot with vegetable oil and add the rice and chopped dills, alternatively ( a layer of rice, then some chopped dills, a layer of rice, then chopped dills). Form the rice into a hill shape in the pot so that the rice does not touch the wall of the pot, then with a knife or end of a spoon make 5 wholes in the hill :) cover the pot lid with a clean kitchen cloth and put the lid on the pot and wait for 20 minutes, reduce the heat to minimum and wait 15 minutes. You can split a pita bread and put one layer of it in the bottom of the pot before adding the rice, it makes a crispy treat that is yummy. But be careful to reduce the heat after 20 minutes, other wise it will burn. After that, mix the rice gently with the dills and serve.

Salmon:

While you are waiting for the rice to cook, prepare the salmon.

Mix about 3 tablespoons of olive oil (depending on the amount of salmon you have) with lime juice. Wash the frozen or fresh fish with water and spread the oil mixture all over the fish pieces. Lay the fish in an oven tray or oven dish and place the dish in the preheated oven and wait for 30 minutes. It is better to place the dish in a larger oven tray and fill the lower tray with a cup of water. This water evaporates and avoids the fish from drying and you will have a juicy fish.

Try to put the fish in the oven 30 minutes before serving so that it is fresh and not dry.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I hope I have explained it well with my not perfect English :) It is my favorite dish.

Aug 12, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Sorry by 'whole" I meant "hole' :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Thanks for sharing that shaadow xx
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Okay, I have an appetizer recipe to share. I have taken it to a couple of parties and not had any to bring home. Everyone has asked for the recipe, so they must be good. Right?

Anyway,

Stuffed Jalapeņo Peppers.

24 Jalapeņo Peppers sliced in half and seeded
    1 lb. bulk sausage (I just hot italian sausage)
    8 oz. block of cream cheese - bring to room temp.
    1 or 2 cups of shredded cheese - bring to room temp.

Brown the sausage, drain. Mix sausage, cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stuff the peppers. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve.

I have used mozzarella cheese and the "fiesta" cheese blend. I like the fiesta blend better.
    Also, if you have surgical or latex gloves available, I would use those to seed and cut the peppers.

Aug 18, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Thanks for sharing that shaadow xx
    No problem :)

Aug 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Hi, Here is another dish, it is a kind of stuffed chicken and it is kind of formal. You will need some ingredients that can be found in Iranian or arabian stores.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken
    5-7 prunes
    Half a cup of dried berberis (or Zereshk*)(get it from an Iranian store)
    1-2 onions
    1 cup of walnut crumbs
    2-3 tablespoonful pomegranate juice (again you can find it in an Iranian or arabian stores) some tumeric powder
    Some salt

Stuffing:

Sort and wash the berberis (soak them in water, they will come up on the surface of water and after about 10 minutes collect them from the surface so that the sand and dirt remains at the bottom of the bowl. Then rinse with water a little bit more and let it drain)
    Wash the prunes and set them aside. Slice the onions into thin slices (do not chop) and fry them in a pan with some vegetable oil. First at high heat and as soon as they lose some water reduce the heat to minimum and continue frying until they are golden and tender. Cool the fried onions and mix them with the berberis and walnut crumbs, 4-5 of the prunes and the pomegranate paste.

Chicken:

Wash the chicken ( do not remove the skin at all). Cover the inside and outside of the chicken with tumeric powder and salt (try to put some under the skin, but be careful not to break the skin) stuff the chicken with the stuffing and sew the chicken belly? :) rub some oil or butter on the chicken skin.

You can roast this chicken in the oven or cook it slowly with half a cup of water and some onions and prunes in a pot on the stove. I prefer cooking it for about half an hour in the pot and then transferring it to an oven dish and roasting it for half another or so in the oven at 350 F.
    You should be careful not to over cook it. I usually serve this with rice. Prepare the rice as I previously explained but this time without the dills. Enjoy!

*Zereshk (زرشک) is the Persian name for the dried fruit of Berberis vulgaris, which are widely cultivated in Iran. Zereshk is widely used in cooking, imparting a tart flavor to chicken dishes.

Aug 18, 2008, 07:51 AM
    [QUOTE=NowWhat]Okay, I have an appetizer recipe to share. I have taken it to a couple of parties and not had any to bring home. Everyone has asked for the recipe, so they must be good. Right?

Hi, thanks for sharing. Is it a very hot dish?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Recipe Swap! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all... I was just wondering if you would like to share your most loved recipe? I thought with people from all over the world, it might be nice to get some new ideas. It can be a main dish, dessert, salad, appetizer or whatever. Anyone? ;) I will have to decide on mine and then come...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

Looking for a recipe. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. We're looking for a cabbage recipe that we once had that was made with shredded cabbage, farmer's cheese, and some other ingredients. It was made in a frying pan and was very much like a pierogi filling. Does anyone have any idea how to make this recipe? Thanks. Dave.

Looking for your best FUDGE recipe [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have a really "great" recipe for fudge? Not the kind you have to use a candy thermometer with, more of a easier one. I'd like to make some for Christmas gift giving, one you have tasted and know its great. Thanks :)

Bero recipe [ 14 Answers ]

I'd like to make flapjacks with cornflakes instead of oats. Somebody told me the recipe is in a Bero cookbook. Can any of you help me? Wildflower

View more questions Search