Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s246 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Heat Pump not heating house -fan is running
    We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the emergency heat for awhile but when we did the fan stops.

Thank you.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Jan 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s246
    We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the emergency heat for awhile but when we did the fan stops.

Thank you.
    Have the freon charge checked. It may be low. The outside fan will stop when the emergency heat is on. That's normal when the electric heat strips come on and you are no longer using the heat pump operation... Upper 30's to 40 degress should be no problem for the heat pump...
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Jan 22, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Your symptoms are leaning to sounding like a Emergency Heat relay or Sequencer. Depending on your system, some companies have a control board that tells the fan to come one and if it doesn't tell your fan to come on then your emergency heat won't run. Kind of a safety feature. By saying it is heating fine until gets really cold sounds like your emergency heat not working properly... I would call tech out to check! Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things: 1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan...

Heat Pump Fan does not run at all times [ 2 Answers ]

I find sometimes that my heat pump interior unit is running but the fan on the compressor outside has stopped. It comes back on after a time. When the fan is not running the compressor outside continues to make noise. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

Lennox heat pump makes noise, slow condenser fan [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox, 20r-48 heat pump ac, roof mount in Phoenix, AZ outside temp 30-65 deg f. My heat pump makes a howl noise from the condenser fan and the fan speed is slow. Condenser coils frost outside but I haven't looked at the coils this time of the year in the past due to no need, (good performance and...

Heat Pump compressor fan problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 1000 heat pump manuf. In 2002. Yesterday, the A/C started having a problem, I checked the units inside and out and found the compressor fan not operating. The outside unit was hot and louder than usual. I turned it off overnight and this morning turned it on to find the fan...

Running furnace fan without heat [ 5 Answers ]

I read some of the other similar posts. I am encouraged that there is a way to do without a spot for the green wire. Labman, could you give me directions on how you to accomplish this. Thanks so much! Nate

View more questions Search