Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
    How would you treat a friend who always cancels at the last minute?
    A bit upset even though I haven't expressed my annoyance with the person I'm upset with. The problem is that lately, she's been making plans and then cancelling at the last minute. She's been doing this for almost a year now, and I'm rather surprised at my own patience in having dealt with her and her cancellations.

I've been making plans with her - sometimes months in advance, and then she cancels at the last minute. I kid you not - it's been about 10 times this year already.

How would you guys answer to this? Whether her reasons are real or not, I'm becoming suspicious because she does this ALL the time.

At this point, I feel like walking away from her, and never responding back to anything that she does or says. I really do feel this way right now. I don't see how anyone can be so disrespectful. I don't think that she's doing this because it's ME per se, but because I think that she's having other "better" things come up - I don't know -maybe like hooking up with dates from online sites, etc.

She's done it again just now. Two weeks ago, we made plans to go somewhere, and she cancelled out, but decided to reschedule - and well, the rescheduling was for today. So guess what? Just now she cancelled out again!

I was so close to replying to her with a sarcastic email, but I had great patience in not doing that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 03:13 PM

How old is she?

Mar 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Not understanding why age would be an issue. 42- old enough to know better!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 04:43 PM

I was thinking, if she is, say, 62, digestive problems could be an issue. I have a friend who always comes up with excuses not related to her physical problems, but that's the real reason. That's why I asked about age.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 04:53 PM

Since she has disappointed you so often during the past year, why not just say no to get-togethers? It will certainly save you from more frustration and anger. Meanwhile, you two can still exchange news and views in person and by phone and via email. Just don't plan anything for a future meeting with her.
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2011, 12:56 AM

Absolutely, don't fall out with her just start making your plans with someone more reliable from now on, if she wonders why she's not being asked out tell her the truth!
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2011, 01:02 AM

I think I would ask her why she keeps canceling on me-then take it from there.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Mar 26, 2011, 05:56 AM

I agree with amicon - ask. To make it non-confrontational, say you are a bit worried about her. Ask if she is having some kind of problem that makes it hard for her to keep your planned arrangements. It may actually be that she is and would welcome the chance to open up honestly. In my book if you have to beat around the bush all the time with a friend it's not much of a friendship anyway.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 07:01 AM

Is this the same friend who was shunning you before? Doesn't really matter, because its you trying to make something happen with a person who doesn't want things to happen. I mean what's it going to take for you to take a hint, and leave this person alone?

You are forcing things and I don't know what it is you expect a person to do, but leaving her alone is obviously the thing she wants.

Just do that, let them go. That's what you should have done a long time ago.

Mar 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Talaniman, no this is a different person, and SHE is the one making the arrangements not me. So why make them if you can't keep them?

Mar 26, 2011, 12:20 PM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    That person who was shunning me before and I are no longer friends. I'm really reevaluating all these people. Makes no point in me keeping people in my life who seem selfish.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 12:35 PM

Do the same with this one, and stop agreeing to meet with her.
    etherial Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
    Would you take this crap from a man you were dating? God, I sure hope not. This person is toxic to you and you'd be a fool to continue your friendship... er, what friendship? There is a married couple who flakes on me and my guy as many times as yours, but I severed ties with them and 3 months later, they popped over without calling at 9:30 p.m. He lets their dumb-azzes in and I tried talking to them and we made dinner plans for Sunday (yesterday). Guess what? While we are shopping for dinner, the wife texted us and cancelled? Really!? Never again!! I don't want anything to do with either of them again! They sat in my dining room crying about how much they love us, yet stood us up again... and that was following our accepting them back! I say RUN!! TOXIC IS AS TOXIC DOES. I TRULY DESPISE THEM AND ONE DAY, WILL NO LONGER THINK ABOUT THEM!!
    estellestar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
    I have a friend who also does this to me lot of times. We plan of getting together then canceling the last minute. The worse thing is I always end up paying the cancelation fees. For instance the last camping trip that she cancelled was non-refundable because the reservation is the next day. And the other cancellation she did before the camping trip, I almost bought the tickets for both of us. And several other cancellations! I don't even know if her reasons for canceling plans are even true. The last one was the last straw that broke the camel's back. I'm done with her. It frustrates me and depresses me. Now I'm giving my energy to my other friend that really deserves it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Valentine's date cancels! How should I react.. [ 8 Answers ]

OK so I was asked out to dinner from a guy Ive been casually seeing for sometime now. We would hang out a lot in the first few months then we lost contact and recently started seeing each other again (about a month now). So last Friday he asked if I want to go to dinner on Valentines Day when he...

What recourse can I take if my employer cancels my insurance while I was still employ [ 5 Answers ]

What recourse can I take if my employer cancels my insurance while I was still employed and has tken money out of your check for this insurance?

He treats me like crap one minute and like his best friend the next [ 1 Answers ]

So I have this ex boyfriend that has recently come out as gay and has a boyfriend and I am extremely close to his family, lately he either treats me like his best friend or like crap, he found out I was mad and made a huge deal because he would ignore me at school but then outside it would be...

My best friend doesn't treat me like I treat her; how do I confront her? [ 4 Answers ]

Dear listener, This morning, my best friend woke me up with a call. She literally told me to meet her at her school without asking if I felt better (I have the flu; she could easily tell with my changed voice). Curiously, I asked why she wanted me to come; she said "i really need my debit card, im...

My friend repeatedly cancels our plans [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who repeatedly cancels our plans. We hang out around each others' houses and the past few times that he's been due to arrive at mine, I either get a text saying that he's "sorry but he can't make it," and can we do it "tomorrow?" or "next Monday?" or an Instant Messenger message...

View more questions Search