Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissK11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Not happy with my new porelain crowns
    Over a month ago I had my old porcelain crowns removed (four upper front teeth) since they were too bulky and the two center ones were very wide. This time I wanted to get 6 porcelain crowns and two bridges (all upper teeth). I explained to my new dentist what kind of shape I would like for my new crowns, emailed her photos as examples and asked MANY TIMES for the WHITEST color on the market! The crowns were ready two weeks later but unfortunately they were not white enough (B0) because she felt in her judgment that it was the most natural color and the teeth were too short! (I was very specific with the color and asked many times to make them longer with many pics as examples). The dentist told me there was no problem to do it over (whiter & 2mm longer as I requested) so I waited two more weeks. In the mean time my gums were allergic to the temporary teeth therefore they very sore, swollen, bluish-red and often bled. I came back to the dentist office yesterday and she wanted to numb me right away and check the new crowns. My mouth and lips were so swollen after the injections that it was hard to tell whether I really liked the teeth or not. She also had to cut the gums around one tooth since they were lower on the tooth as opposed to the others. After a few hours and the swelling having subsided, I was able to exactly see the crowns and take photos. I think they are still too squareish and the bottom of the four front teeth should be more rounded. They have too much texture and one of them looks a little bit crooked (hard to see in the photos). I see that they do NOT look like the ones from the photos I sent to the dentist. She told me that they are 2mm longer than the ones she had for me the first time but I truly doubt this is true since if the ones I have were 2 mm shorter they would have looked ridiculous the first time around! I was told the color code is 00 (double zero) and it's the whitest color on the market although my old crowns were whiter?! I have another appointment for the bridges but I want to be honest and tell the dentist I do not like my new teeth and I am not happy. I am not a person who likes to complain but I am really unhappy. Please advise... And thank you so much for any help!

Picture of teeth I like: rounder & longer
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
    One thing you should know is as you get older your white porcelain crowns are going to look very unnatural since your teeth change colour as you age.
    I'm wondering if your teeth may appear longer once all the swelling of the gums is gone. I'd suggest you give it some time for the tissues to heal and reassess things then.
    The dentist has to take your bite in to consideration when making the crowns. If the teeth are too long there is a chance you could fracture the crowns or you could be hitting the back of the crowns with your lower teeth.
    MissK11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
    One of my main problems is that the design is too square and flat looking (like tablets). It's just too masculine which makes me look older.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2011, 09:09 AM
    The only thing I can suggest is to address it with your dentist. It may be more of a problem with the lab that made the crowns and not the dentist. Let her know that you are still not happy with the shape and be sure it is documented in your chart. All you can do is ask for them to be redone but I am sure there will be an additional charge to you.
    Natalie2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

May 3, 2011, 05:29 PM
    If she is a true cosmetic dentist, the work will be done very well and she will make sure that you are happy with them. However, you can ask for your money back in a very nice way. If she refuses, you can post your pics all over the internet and warn others not to use her. Surely, a refund will cost her less than the damage that posting the pics will cause. File a complaint with the BBB and any other association that she is a member of. Never use a general dentist for aesthetic work because most general dentist will make you're your crowns fit and work but will not take into considerations what you want. A cosmetic dentist will change your bite if they need to. Always check to see if they have had additional training in aesthetics. Look at the other smiles they have created and choose your dentist after a lot of research. Hope this helps
    Natalie2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

May 3, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Comment on flossie's post
    Why should she pay extra? She let the dentist know what she wanted and this is the second time that she had to have them done. The dentist should have let her know that she wasn't comfortable with this kind of smile makeover
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2011, 06:28 PM
    You are right Natalie, the dentist should have sent her packing.
    shay23hy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Hi, I just had my crowns fitted and I have the same problem, There not white enough and my they are way too big and square, I am so unhappy with them, they make me look so masculine, I went back to the dentist today and told him I was not happy so he has to send them back, the worse problem is he can't make them any whiter and said the same as your dentist that they are the whitest you can go which is not true, I will keep going back if I have to because I'm not spending all that money and have my teeth look worse than they were in the beginning.
    Messed up teeth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
    I am devastated over my 4 new front crowns. They are greenish white, way too long, the bite of off, and they are buck teeth. The teeth also have little pits in them. I know speak with a lisp. What a mess.

What is causing the lisp? Overbite?

The dentist is wonderful to me, and he offered to cut the edges off the front teeth but that is not going to fix the size, color, and bite, and buck teeth. I really didn't notice all these problems (except for the length and color and buck teeth) at the time of the visit. Now that I'm home I see all the other problems.

I should have gone to a cosmetic dentist it seems. I did look at his work on another pt. and they looked great.

Should I ask for 4 new crowns?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She has to be happy in order to make me happy. [ 20 Answers ]

Around August 5th of last year, my girlfriend and I broke up for the first time. We spent the next two months on and off.. until we got back together in early October. Things have been great since then... until the last couple of days. I sensed that something was wrong, and today it was confirmed....

Should I have crowns? [ 1 Answers ]

Should I have crowns to all my back teeth which are heavily filled and some discoloured? I only have pain in one of them. There are 10 crowns proposed. What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Should I get crowns [ 3 Answers ]

My dentist suggested me to do crowns on the following 3 teeth and they are the last three teeth on the bottom right (I don't have the adult tooth). I need help to make a go decision. 1. to replace a chipped old crown. I had a rootcannel years ago and about five years ago they had to drill down...

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

View more questions Search