Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schaffer84 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
    Dress Code for Cold Calling
    Hello All,

Firstly, I would like to say that this is my first post and I am excited to have found a great website like this one.

I have a question in regards to what to wear when cold calling...

I own/operate a Carpet Cleaning company and am wanting to break into the Commercial Janitorial field. I will be heading out to businesses and "cold-calling" but I am uncertain of how to dress? Should I wear a suit (no tie)? Should I just dress casual (dress pants, dress shirt)? Or neither? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 11:25 AM

Good afternoon Schaffer.

There are many variables concerning this. Many wear casual clothes; slacks and a nice shirt WITH SHINED SHOES!

Me, I wear a sports coat WITH a tie... always. I have been in sales for over 40 years and have owned my own janitorial companies (3) for over two decades. I learned a long time ago that YOU bring the professionalism to the job, you set the standards.

Now, I am not saying that you have to dress up but you must be presentable to all clients and I believe that it shows respect to them that you do. And I have found that you in turn receive respect.

Anything that I can do to assist you please let me know.

You may want to search janitorial, sales, etc at AMHD for more info.

Stringer
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2011, 01:13 PM
    Just to add from my experience in my trade, and do not mean to conflict with Stringer in anyway. Looks like he comes to you with real advice in your profession.

If you company issues uniforms, that would be a choice, or something slick but similar, perhaps the dress shirt and a blazer with the company colors.

Geography and local culture may play into it. Not many suits and ties in Maine.

We have franchise reps visit from time to time, from a large metro city, first time dressed like a Wall Street yuppie.

We found dealing with customers of mid to high level management, the suit turned them off.

Next time he was dressed like going out to golf, not goofy, but clean and casual.

It worked.
    Business Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 02:07 PM

Yep, 'there are many variables' each applies to what you need to transmit.

Sure there are times when a sports coat and tie are not necessary Russell and what you described and the area that you are located calls for differentials.

You shouldn't over dress either example; tie pin, flower in the lapel, red hankie in the pocket... :)

Ex, only you and I may know what this is... spats... :)

Stringer
    schaffer84 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Hey Stringer and tkrussell:

Thank-you for your professional inputs! You both made very valid points in regards to this matter.

Stringer, you said your wear a sports coat and tie. By sports coat, do you mean a blazer? Do you wear dress pants with this and do you try to match the coat with the pants?

Basically, I have a couple of new aged suits (more casual looking) and am wondering if I were to wear a suit, dress shirt, no tie, blazer not done up, would this be appropriate? I know that it would look good but I do NOT want to over dress.

tkrussell; I live in Western Canada in a small city (60,000) and there isn't a vast majority of people walking around in suits. That being said, I know what you mean by Geography and local culture. However, I want to look professional enough without overdressing.

The reason why I am having a hard time with this is because I am a 26 year old business owner and my goal is to have people take me seriously, at first site.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 06:04 PM

I was not in the "cleaning" business but I sold for many years cleaning supplies, high end steam cleaning systems ( 10,000 plus in cost for basic systems)

We never wore suits ( ever) we worn "****ie" style pants with a three button shirt, with a company logo. Wore it if I talked to president of large companies, or the janitor.

But yet we also did not almost ever go in the front door of a business to start with either.
    Business Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 12:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by schaffer84 View Post
    Hey Stringer and tkrussell:

Thank-you for your professional inputs! You both made very valid points in regards to this matter.

Stringer, you said your wear a sports coat and tie. By sports coat, do you mean a blazer? Do you wear dress pants with this and do you try to match the coat with the pants?

Basically, I have a couple of new aged suits (more casual looking) and am wondering if I were to wear a suit, dress shirt, no tie, blazer not done up, would this be appropriate? I know that it would look good but I do NOT want to over dress.

tkrussell; I live in Western Canada in a small city (60,000) and there isn't a vast majority of people walking around in suits. That being said, I know what you mean by Geography and local culture. However, I want to look professional enough without overdressing.

The reason why I am having a hard time with this is because I am a 26 year old business owner and my goal is to have people take me seriously, at first site.
    I wear a nice sports coat with dress slacks and a tie. You obviously should wear whatever makes you comfortable. A long time ago I worked for some major corporations that required suits and ties for all salespeople. When I became the national sales manager that tradition continued.

When I have to do a walk thorough there are sometimes many of my competition there and I notice that about half of them are in ties or the women in nice clothes. In my opinion that is a bit more professional I our business. When I see someone in very wrinkled pants and ****s or they arrive in a very filthy car it does say something less about them. After all we ARE in the cleaning business.

For the last 10 years or so most of my meetings with upper management/executives and they are always dressed per their position. Also when I have staff meetings twice per month with my people I wear a sports coat and tie but never asked my management people to. What I found was that they began to dress at a higher standard and I think that in some ways that increased our level of doing business.

Good luck in your adventure Schaffer. If I can help let me know.

Stringer
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 02:34 PM

Since your business is carpet cleaning, I think it would be perfectly appropriate to wear pressed, well fit dress slacks in a neutral color like khaki, navy or black, with a golf shirt embroidered with the company logo. Have a nice belt and dress shoes, polished and shined, which match. How your clothes fit their condition counts for a lot in making a good impression. Cover any tatoos, remove piercings if you have them, and go conservative - no facial hair or have it very neat and trimmed, and a clean cut hairstyle.

If you are going after really major accounts, a sportcoat and tie or suit are in order. Consider who you are calling on and where. An office park or budget hotel in suburbia are likely business casual, but if you're in a large city or calling on swankier places, take it up a notch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dress code for Christmas concert. [ 17 Answers ]

It's me again, and I'm ticked. My kids have their Christmas concert tomorrow night. It's a long tedious affair, many parents have complained about the length of it (it's usually over 2 hours, starts at 7pm, and it's a long night), and many of the kids end up falling asleep on the stage. It's...

Teacher dress code [ 4 Answers ]

I got this online for a female teacher's dress code. * Dresses – hose should be worn if the dress does not fall below the knee * Nice slacks – no tennis shoes * Midriff tops should not be worn * Skirts – length must fall no higher than the top of the knee * Choose...

Formal Dress Code [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I've been invited to attend an awards ceremony and the dress code is mentioned as formal. I live in a middle eastern country and my parents don't really approve me wearing a dress. Would it be appropriate to wear a long skirt dress in black or a saree? :confused: Or would it better if I...

Some beaches need a dress code. [ 2 Answers ]

Dress code [ 12 Answers ]

If I am a woman who does not feel comftable wearing closed clothing, can I wear shirts that are open but only show a little bit of cleavage? I am not that big so the shirts only make me feel more attractive.

View more questions Search