Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oteddy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Wisdom tooth extraction
    Does a dentist insert and apply any object into the dry socket during a wisdom tooth extraction.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2011, 10:18 AM

Typically, yes. It will be packed with some gauze after the extraction.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2011, 08:15 PM
    They don't put anything IN the socket after an extraction. They may place sutures and/or have you bite down on gauze.
    Now, if it is a DRY socket a day or 2 after the extraction then yes, they will put a thin medicated gauze strip in the socket.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2011, 06:29 AM

Oteddy, flossie's answer is best. I do recall now, that the only reason that they packed my sockets with gauze was because I did have dry socket. I had forgotten that after over 20 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Down after the Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 1 Answers ]

HI , I am from colombia , and I find it hard to write in English so I apologize .me three wisdom teeth removed over one year and symptoms began around a month later, which were lack of encouragement, tired, agotadoy without power, could neither stand up out of bed. I've gone to many doctors,...

Wisdom tooth extraction pain [ 8 Answers ]

Friends The greatest tragedy occurred yesterday when my dentist declared that my lower last molar has to be removed, I'm in constant pain since then, both physical and psychological. I took another dentist opinion and he also said that it's a simple process and very general. I can't believe this...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 5 Answers ]

I had my last two wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago, I was awake and I can not take pain medication because of my sensitive stomach. I am endearing so much pain, my ear is killing me, along with other teeth. I peeked into my mouth earlier and saw a gaping hole between my gum and cheek... what is...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

Thursday I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled and it's been 3 days later and I'm still in pain. I'm on amoxicillan and 2 other pain relievers and still in pain. I don't have dry socket cause I do have clot in socket. Any suggestions or how long I will feel like this for? Thanks.

Fever Following a Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 5 Answers ]

I had a wisdom tooth extracted this Monday. Starting Tuesday, a fever started to develop. I was put on Amoxicillin after the surgery, so I was happy that I was taking it in case of any infection problems. The infection is now lingering today (Saturday morning). I have no real pain except for a...

View more questions Search