Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toye6369 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Symptoms of diabetes
    I have been having symptoms of diabetes for awhile. My sister is diabetic and tested me. I have had several postprandial numbers well over 200 and one of 391. My fasting numbers are always over 100 and had some 126,127,153. Had fasting blood work along with lipid panel done last week. The nurse said my fasting level was 5.2 and showed normal lipid levels. But I am still experiencing symptoms and high postprandial numbers. Is it possible I can still be diabetic? Nurse said for me to stop checking my blood. That was her only advice. She said I'm not diabetic since my morning fasting test showed normal. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 02:48 PM

You might be acting like a hydrocondriac like the nurse was hinting at.

Pay to have a Glucose tollerance test done... if that says you aren't diabetic or even pre-diabetic. Take the hint and stop looking for things that aren't there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 03:25 PM

While I do not agree with the way Smoothy came across, I will agree, as a nurse myself, that you should not be using someone else's glucose monitor to be checking your own blood glucose.

I also agree that a GTT is in order for you. What other symptoms are you experiencing?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2011, 05:34 PM

I'm diabetic AND work in a lab, and checking your levels won't tell you anything other than what your levels are at that time.

You need the GTT test. It is very simple. You have a tube taken while you are fasting, then you drink some juice they give you, then you will be tested for the next few hours intermittenly. This will tell them if your body is processing the sugar properly or not. Nothing else will tell you.

Mar 22, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Oh no,I purchased my own meter. Thank you to everyone for your advice I will see if dr will order the ogtt.

Mar 22, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Emtreme hunger usually like 15 minutes of eating like as if I didn't even eat,thrist,crave water or ice, very very tired drained headaches,stomach pain off and on...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 07:27 PM

Those symptoms can be several different diagnoses. As Jenniepepsi said, a gtt is more accurate when checking for diabetes as it takes you through the realm of virtually starving (fasting) through the sugar phase (drinking the sugary drink), through shortly past that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

What are the best signs to determine whether you have diabetes? It runs in my family and I don't know what symptoms to be looking out for to determine if I do. I am worried that someday I'm going to end up in the hospital because I was unaware of the possibility that I may have diabetes. What...

Help With Diabetes [ 5 Answers ]

What would you recommend as a herbal help for controlling diabetes?

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

My father has diabetes and wants some home made fudge... I make the fantasy fudge by kraft and have all the ingredients I have exchanged the sugar for splenda, I found some sugar free marshmallow dip (hope it works:o ) the only thing that Im not sure is instead of the semi sweet chocolate chips I...

Diabetes symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

I had gestational diabetes in my second pregnancy in 2004 and was told that I am at a high risk of developing diabetes mellitus later on. For the past month or so, I have been urinating more than usual, been extremely hungry and thirsty, sleepier than usual, my eyes have been sore and my vision...

Diabetes symptoms... delay in testing [ 1 Answers ]

I just called my dr's office to set up an appointment to be tested for diabetes, but my family doctor is only taking urgent cases today, so I have to wait and call back next Friday, which I wasn't very happy about. I really don't want to wait another week for this. I'm still experiencing specific...

View more questions Search