Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miclus Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Large Return Disparity: TurboTax/TaxCut vs TaxAct
    I decided to make this a new thread. I don't know why, but using the same W2 info, TurboTax says I get $135 for a refund, TaxCut says $174, and TaxAct says $440. What's with the big disparity?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2007, 07:22 PM
    First, make sure you have keyed in the W-2 information correctly. A transposed number can make a difference in a tax bracket.

Second, check to see if they are giving you credit for the telephone excise tax rebate. It can be a high as $60 for a married couple.

Hird, make sure you are claiming the same filing status (Single VS. Married Filing Jointly Vs. Head of Household). That can make a big difference.

Jan 21, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Yes, checked all that. I'm entering the same info on each one, but not necessarily the correct numbers. Do you think you can tell what any of the W2 boxes will be from my last check here?

http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~mbp02/taxes.jpg
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Check to see if you put your date of birth in correctly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
    I quesss just a silly question of why a person runs all three versions to do their taxes and compare ?

Jan 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Don't worry Chuck, not a silly question at all. I wanted to compare the ease of use of each.
    Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Thank you, so for my knowledge, since I use the programs myself, which did you find easier to use, and did you ever find the difference ?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
    I have not used either TurboTax or TaxCut in years, because TaxAct is, for me, so much easier to use, and the cost of the software or the website just beats the pants off either TurboTax or TaxCut.

Jan 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Yeah, I found them all easy, but I like TaxAct now since it's free. I found the difference too, it was basically each program picks up on the EIC at a different time, so I wasn't following all the steps through in some programs.
    Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Thanks I got a free program for taxact, so it looks like that is the way I am going, lucky we don't have a state income tax here in TN so I don't have to buy any state programs.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Jan 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Make sure that 'Parsonage' is not checked if you are not affiliated with the line of work Fr_Chuck is in.

Our tax clerk had it checked, and when he corrected his mistake our return was at the right amount it should have been.
    rktompsett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
    I like this thread. I've been using TurboTax for years at $70 - $80 a crack for the Premier version. I went with TaxAct this year and found it a whole lot easier, and much more reasonable price wise. I like TaxAct and I plan on sticking with it in the years to come.
    taxy200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
    As a retired Dept of Tres agent I can tell your that Turbo Tax and Taxcut in past years has made a lot of tax rate chart mistakes Taxact has never made those same mistakes... taxy200

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ISTAXES or TAXACT... need some help here! [ 6 Answers ]

I did my taxes last year but I just did it randomly and I only got a dollar back and I begin to think I might have done it incorrectly. Following is my criteria: 1. I have been in US from aug. 13th with f1 student visa status from Nepal. 2. I have some medical and social security tax...

Return on Assets & Return on Equity [ 1 Answers ]

Question... Lily Cosmetics has annual sales of $500,000,000. They maintain a net after tax profit margin of 5% and they have a sales-to-assets ratio of 4. A) What is the Return on assets? B) If the debt/equity ratio is 0.5, what is the Return on Equity?

Filing with taxact.com [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody used taxact.com or have any good or not so good comments about them? Thanks... jrpr

View more questions Search