Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardpaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Attaching copper faucet to copper pipe attached to plastic pipe?
    I have plastic piping in the house which leads outside and then copper piping is outside with a facet attached.. I need to change the facet with torch and solder... if I heat the old one to remove with this heat travel down the copper pipe through the wall and affect the plastic pipe.. I am worried it could melt or soften it to cause a leak in my walls.

Richard
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 05:57 PM

How far away is the plastic from the copper you will be unsweating? If its more than a foot, you should be fine, BUT, it never hurts to wrap the copper below the joint with a wet towell to keep the heat from going down the pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the trick attaching copper nut to plastic thread of wc inlet pipe? Thanks [ 2 Answers ]

What's the trick attaching copper nut to plastic thread of wc inlet pipe? Thanks

Copper and plastic pipe for shower fittings [ 2 Answers ]

I need to install a new shower valve but have no experience sweating copper pipe. Is it possible to use one of the new plastic pipe materials/methods to connect? I would have to use plastic on both the inlet and outlet sides of the valve. Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, ideas.

Attaching a shower pan to a copper drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a shower replaced by a local contractor. He installed a PVC pan to my old copper drain. Needless to say it leaks. He doesn't understand why? I believe that the correct way should have been to cut the copper drain and install a PVC pipe to the shower. Can someone help explain...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Plastic and Copper pipe connections [ 1 Answers ]

Help... I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet. The copper water supply pipe is connected to a plastic shut-off valve. I want to replace the plastic shut-off valve with a metal valve. The plastic shut-off valve will not come off the copper water supply pipe. How do I get this off? I tried...

View more questions Search