Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peanutt45 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Central air wiring
    I have an older inside central air/heat unit. I replaced the outside compressor/condensor unit. I have two low voltage wires comuing from the outside unit red/yellow. The yellow is spliced into the yellow wire gong to the thermostat. I don't know where the red wire goes. The compressor fan won't come on.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Mar 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Are you licensed to do this work? People shouldnot help you in this situation. You may get hurt
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 03:24 PM

See if you have 24 volts at outside contactor, may just be a bad contactor?
    99% of the time the low voltage control wiring goes from thermostat to air handler and air handler to compressor, what wires did you have at the air handler when you installed it?
    You need 24 volts out on compressor control wires when set to cool.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 04:20 PM

One wire goes to y(yellow) and the other wire goes to c(common). So in your case, the yellow is already spliced to the y and the red would go to c.

Mar 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    One wire goes to y(yellow) and the other wire goes to c(common). So in your case, the yellow is already spliced to the y and the red would go to c.
    I don't have any connection marked c
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 03:03 PM

Then the neutral on the 24v side of the transformer.

Mar 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    then the neutral on the 24v side of the transformer.
    There is already a red wire hooked up to the neutral going to the thermostat when I hook the red wire coming from the compressor the blower runs constantly but the compressor still doesn't come on.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 08:20 AM

See if you have 24 volts at outside contactor, may just be a bad contactor?
    99% of the time the low voltage control wiring goes from thermostat to air handler and air handler to compressor, what wires did you have at the air handler when you installed it?
    You need 24 volts out on compressor control wires when set to cool.

1 side side of the secondary of the transformer goes to all contactors and relays(Fan, compressor, blower).
    The other secondary wire goes to the thermostat common, then when set to cool, that hot/common will connect to the Fan and compressor control wires, blower relay is in air handler and compressor relay is in compressor unit outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Compressor Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

My Compressor Quit Working A Few Months Back. The A/c/ Repair Guy Stripped The Burnt Wire On The Compressor And Added A New Wire It Worked Ok. I Called Another Company For My Yearly Service He Said The Wire Was Burn . He Pulled All Of The Wires Lose And Left. The Unit Is A Bryant That Says 1982...

I need a Wiring Diagram for Byrant Central Air [ 1 Answers ]

I need a wiring diagram for a Bryant Central Air System.

Central heat and air wiring green [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace two wires on my central heater last night because they had burned through or the wires carroaded through... both were broken at the push on connecter and the insulation was chipping off about 1 1/2 inch... the wire under neith was green and brittle..

Adding central air wiring [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am trying to figure out how to wire the controls for a new central air conditioning system being added to my existing Hallmark furnace. I currently have an oil fired furnace with 2 wire running up to a programmable thermostat, which is capable of cooling and heating. I plan to run a 4 wire...

View more questions Search