Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koola Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 10:48 PM
    Is this a HIPAA violation? - disrespect and abuse
    I drove hospital today worried about damaged intestinal lining from uncontrollable puking of green, black material.
    I withheld my information to the doctor and nurse, including the part about my substance abuse (using illegal drugs)
    The night before. While I was waiting for my diagnosis behind the curtain, I could hear all the employees making fun of my substance abuse,
    Making cruel jokes, even calling me a "raver, e-tard."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2011, 03:48 AM

Probably not a HIPAA violation since the talk was among people providing your care, not 3rd parties. And while it may have been cruel, you brought it on yourself by not providing the doctor with an accurate medical history (very dangerous)!

However, it was unprofessional behavior and you can report it to the hospital administrator.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 05:55 AM

It is unprofessional to say the least, but not a HIPAA violation. It is extremely important that your health care providers know ALL of your medical history, including your addictions.

What would have happened if they gave you a medication that counteracted with the drugs you use? You could have died and in that case it would not have been the fault of your care providers because you weren't honest with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

The company I work for recently emailed all employees and posted a list of all employees who signed up during recent open enrollment for health insurance, life insurance and long term disability. The company is self insured and I feel that they violated our privacy rights by sharing information...

HIPAA Violation? What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister had a recent hospital stay and when she received the bill in the mail they had printed her SSN along with the name and address? Is this a HIPAA violation? Is there anything she should do to protect her credit, or should she make any demands of the hospital? When she called the hospital...

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

My (former) dentist overcharged my credit card for a crown. The VISA department of my bank sent the dentist a 'chargeback inquiry' to determine if my claim was valid. In response, the dentist faxed my bank a "Family History Listing" which in addition to my payment history (which seems...

HIPAA Violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a federal lawsuit against my employer for discrimination in which I am currently awaiting the summary judgement. Several weeks ago I got hurt not at my place of work but while I was at home. My doctor originally informed me that I could not return to work, and that he would not...

View more questions Search