Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stubo5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 10:53 AM
    How do I stop my 4month old lab pups from going to the toilet during the night
    My lab pups are great at going to the toilet. Even if we are out in the car they can hold it in till car stops. But at night the pee and poo al over the kitchen they go out before I go to bed and first thing in morn but there is still a miss every morning what can I do
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 02:13 PM

Get your pups on a schedule. During the day, there is a lot of activity and you are very attentive to their needs. At night, you go to bed and the pups are left to fend for themselves. They are babies, they will make mistakes. Don't expect these guys to be house trained completely until 6months - 1 year of age.

Feed at 5pm and give last drink 2 hours before your bed time.

Do you use a crate? If not, definitely invest in one. Puppies shouldn't want to potty where they sleep. Get a crate that is big enough for them to turn around in. You want to instill in them that being clean is good! You may need to get up in the middle of the night with them until they are on a schedule.

Remember,its not just their mind you are training, but also their body. Be patient, take things one step at a night, and before you know it, they will be houes trained 100%!
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2011, 09:59 AM

When I first got my pup, I was up every few hours during the night to let him out to pee. I never gave food or water past supper time (cuts down on the amount they need to use the bathroom) a set schedule is very important with pups, including specific times they are taken out.

One thing I did notice over the years is. Not every pup is the same. Housetraining with one can take longer than the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I bottle feed some of my pups do I have to do it through the night [ 2 Answers ]

My husky has had 9 pups today having less teats than pups will I have to bottle feed some of them and will I have to do this through the night they all seem content at the moment should I leave them till morning to see if mum is coping OK before I intervien they were only born today.

If I bottle feed some of my pups do I have to do it through the night [ 2 Answers ]

My husky has had 9 pups today having less teats than pups will I have to bottle feed some of them and will I have to do this through the night

My Lab recently started going to the bathroom at night in the house [ 10 Answers ]

Just recently my 1 1/2 year old lab started pooping in the house at night. Our feeding schedule is close to the same as usual (within 30 minutes), he is let out prior to bedtime, there have been no changes in his diet. Yet just out of the blue somewhere between midnight and 6:AM he is pooping (it...

Lab puppy having diarrea in crate at night [ 2 Answers ]

We have a chocolate lab puppy who is 11 weeks old. He was doing great with his potty training. But we recently had problems with him at night. He was crated and in the kitchen and he was up every 2 hours. We decided to bring him into our bedroom (which worked for about 3 days he almost slept...

View more questions Search