Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 07:41 PM
    Largest moon in 18 years tonight March 19th!!
    Tonight, March 19th the moon is larger than it is normally since 18 years ago. If it is a clear sky you will see the moon at its closest to planet earth. Looks beautiful and is 20% larger and it is also brighter than usual. We are also supposed to have higher tides tonight.

I don't know, maybe this is some kind of a 'good sign' hopefully?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/201103...ssaturdaynight

Stringer
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2011, 10:03 PM

It's so bright where I live that it appears that we have put a spotlight on the house next door! :) I hope everyone takes a look. I think it won't happen again until 2029. (That may be in the link you gave, Stringer. Sorry, but with the dial up I didn't read it.)

I hope you are correct about this being a good sign! ;)

Hugs, Didi
    Business Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 12:29 AM

We caught a glimpse Didi it was overcast. Took some pictures when it could be seen slightly then you couldn't see it at all sadly. Eighteen years is a long time to wait for the next time :).

Stringer
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 09:04 AM

Too bad that it was overcast there, Stringer. It was bright and clear here and it was almost like daylight outside. I took several photos but haven't had a chance to see if they turned out. I didn't have a tripod or my husband's unipod so they might be blurry with the slower shutter speed. If any turn out okay I will post one or two for you.

Hugs, Didi
    Business Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 09:45 AM

That would be great Didi, thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 10:38 AM

Considering the weather in Chicago last night and today we will likely miss this. It APEEARS larger but is actuially the same size, just closer.
    Business Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 10:51 AM

:) Yep.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 11:19 AM

Actually, as the moon first rose (is that expressed correctly? I always think of the sun rising, not so much the moon!) it looked very large and close. The further up in the sky it went the more it appeared like a regular moon. Here it was just the crisp brightness of it that was astoundingly beautiful. It was almost too bright to view for any length of time.
    Business Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 11:24 AM

Yes, according to the article the moon was best viewed at the rise and 'moon set'.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 01:00 PM
    I hope I've managed to attach 3 photos here. I seem to have forgotten how, it's been so long! :rolleyes: Oh! I did a preview and they show. Sorry the last 2 are blurry, but I didn't have a tripod. The first photo there were no clouds or trees around. In the second shot you can see how the moon is reflecting on the trees and clouds. In the 3rd one the moon was actually behind light clouds! Poor quality but at least you can get some sort of idea of the brightness.

Hugs, Didi
    Attached Images

Business Expert

Mar 20, 2011, 01:04 PM

Much better that what we saw with our overcast, thanks.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 10:36 AM

Too bad I'm in the South hemisphere... :(

But fortunately, I've seen the pictures! :) Thanks Didi!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Too bad I'm in the South hemisphere...
    Why would that matter? We all see the same moon at the same time - it's just that from where you live it would seem upside-down compared to how we northerners see it.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2011, 11:37 AM

I don't know... maybe something I thought as being true while not true... it happens often when I'm tired :o

But no, I haven't seen any moons recently. :( Or maybe I simply didn't look for it in the right place the right time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My name is roshni I was born on 19th march 1990.I want know about my lover. [ 1 Answers ]

My name is roshni I was born on 19th march 1990.I want know about my lover.he is love me but he don't want to marry me. I love him very much,will I merrage with him?

Total Eclipse of The Moon Tonight [ 14 Answers ]

"The moon will turn shades of amber and crimson tonight as it passes behind the Earth's shadow in the first total lunar eclipse in three years.", says AOL news. I hope I have a clear Sky tonight... I'd love to see this... Kae

View more questions Search