Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilmzcrrazi Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Help!! I'm not sure what I should do for the university I want to go to?
    I want to become a Marine Biologist, but I'm SOOO confused! No one has explained this to me normally.. I'm a Junior in high school right now and my 11th grade GPA is probably better than any GPA throughout my high school year but the thing is I stopped at Algebra 2 I stopped at 2nd year of foreign language and I'm planning on not taking another year of Science. I took the SAT I haven't gotten my scores in yet, but I just took it just to see what its like. I'm not planning on going to University right after I graduate one because I know I won't get in to the places I want, two I want to save my money during college so I have the money later on for the future. I'm just really worried about when I transfer are the Universities going to be looking at my high school grades and scores and end up turning me down? Or do they look at your college grades since I want to transfer.. I don't get it and is there a test when you want to transfer? I'm just very confused..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 03:46 PM

I'm confused - when you transfer from where to where? You are planning on finishing high school and then taking some time off and then going to college. Where does a transfer come in?

I don't know what grades you are referring to in connection with a transfer.

Your bigger problem is going to be your lack of science courses.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2011, 03:48 PM

Doesn't your school have guidance counselors? This is part of their job to help you prepare for higher education.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Apr 22, 2011, 08:11 PM

Honestly, it's OK to not know what college you want to go to in 11th grade. When I was in high school I didn't know until the middle of 12th grade and I didn't know many people who knew for sure what college they wanted to go to either. That's why peolple usually apply to 3 or 4 and choose the one that most meets their goals.

I'm a biology major in college right now. When I was in high school I took a lot of science courses such as physical science, biology, chemistry, genetics, and physics. I also took both pre-calc and calculus.

The math classes in high school helped A LOT in college. Take pre-calc at least during your senior year. Also take another science. I don't know why you aren't planning on taking another science if you are planning to be a science major! Biology is hard in college You should try and get as much experience as you can! Take your SAT at least twice because you can combine the highest scores of each section. Also make sure you are involved in a club or something because colleges look at those things too.

I don't advise taking a year off either because chances are you aren't going to be making that much money with no college degree and you might end up putting off college for another year. Also you don't know what colleges you can get into if you didn't apply. Your grades aren't going to change after high school so taking a year off isn't going to make you application any prettier.

Apply for finacial aid. This is one of the main things you need to do to get money for school. Most people fill this out.. it's free money for school! If you live in the US the application is called a FAFSA.

If you don't know what college you want to go to try applying to a community college if you have one in your area. You can still get a really good education.. and it's much cheaper than a 4-year college. Then you can transfer to a university if you what/need to.

I must say again Biology is really hard in college. It's not all about learning about cute dolphins and whales.. you have to take very rigorous courses and memorize a lot of things so work hard and you'll get there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is atlantic International University recogned university [ 9 Answers ]

I' m Tanzanian living in Tanzania I want joining Atlantic International University for B.A education, can their degree acceptable any where?

Is Washington International University another mill university? [ 9 Answers ]

Please help me to answer about the status of WIT university...

Kennedy-Western University NOW Warren National University [ 54 Answers ]

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and talked about. I am enrolled with Kennedy-Western, and now have a bad feeling about them. I cannot find where they are an "Accredited" postsecondary school, only licensed in the state of Wyoming. Does anyone know and can prove to me that they...

Is TUI University formerly (Touro University Intl) rec. By US DEPT of ED. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the military and I was thinking of starting a Master's Degree at TUI University. I just wanted to know if I am wasting my time or is this degree going to be useful in the civilian world. i.e. is it recognized and Accredited by the U.S Dept of Education, like maybe IU, PURDUE Or Notre dame?...

View more questions Search