Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konradsa Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Excess Roth IRA removal
    Hi,

I got the following issue: Last year 2010 I put about $3500 in my Roth IRA, but realized then back in Feb 2011 that I exceeded the income limit for contributions by far. Now I sent Vanguard a form to remove all the excess and withhold tax on the gains, which they did.

However, I did not get any form now about this from Vanguard, which makes me wonder which tax year I have to include the transaction and gains on, the 2010 or next year's 2011 return? And if this year, what form do I need to file for the gains I had removed? I called Vanguard about it, they told me I won't receive a form 1099 anymore this year, and they also could not answer me whether the form I will receive next year will be for the 2010 or 2011 tax year.

Thank you!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 21, 2011, 09:53 AM

Since they distriubuted the excess and withheld taxes in Feb 2011, it counts as income to you in 2011. Hence in January 2012 you will receive a 1099 from Vanguard that will include this for filing with your 2011 taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

# of Roth IRA/IRA and Contributions [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone in the banking business tell me if it is true that you can only contribute $6,000.00 a year to your IRA Savings Account? Can you contribute more $? Can you have more than one IRA and more than one Roth IRA and contribute all that you want to contribute each year?

Roth IRA and Roth 401(k) [ 1 Answers ]

Can I make contributions to a Roth IRA, when I am already contributing to a Roth 401(k) plan? If so, what are the limits? Thank you,

Cashing out part of IRA or ROTH IRA due to Hardship [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what are the reasons that you can claim hardship on an IRA or ROTH IRA? I have been unemployed for over a year and need to cashing some of my IRA to just pay bills and live. Are there penalties and taxes that need to be paid on this money? Thanks,

Should I/how to convert IRA-BDA to a Roth IRA [ 0 Answers ]

A few years ago I inherited an IRA. It's now referred to as an IRA-BDA. It is all one mutual fund. As it stands now, when I withdraw from it I have the option of taking out 10-15% taxes on the amount withdrawn, or waiting until tax time to pay it. 1.Would it be more beneficial to change my...

View more questions Search