Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doughboyusa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Could a frozen HVAC unit burn up a fan motor?
    I have a Lennox hvac unit and this winter, my neighbor noticed that the unit was completely frozen up. I noticed that the fan on top was blowing but it had a roar to it. I called my installer and they stated that it was normal. The next day, the temperature had risen into the
    50's and it was still frozen but the fan was not running. They came out and found that someone from their company had installed the last defrost tstat in the wrong position & not calling for defrost. He replaced it and found that the cond. Fan motor & capacitor is not working. They had to replace both. It was under warranty but they are still asking for $375 in labor charges. Would anyone like to comment on why I should have to pay this, when they installed the defrost tstat in the wrong position in the first place, which probably led to the fan and capacitor burning out! Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 05:46 PM

I am an Electrican/Technician, not an AC guy/girl, I usually see frozeen coils from clogged filter or coils, I could see an extra load on the Motor if the intake is blocked(froze).
    Mine has froze before, and usually turn off cool and only have fan going until it defrost, then I check filter and coils.

Mar 19, 2011, 05:46 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the response!
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
    You should not pay that! OUTRAGEOUS! A P.S.C. permanent split capaitor type motor which those are, cannot take being stopped physically while energized, they will over heat and a thermal overload"theoretically" will open and protect the motor from burning up, but if it trips the thermal overload in the motors windngs and cools down, it tries until it heats up again, which isn't long! As its just barely cooled enough to reset, so it will go back and forth until a tech comes or it does fry out, which is entirely possible and highly unlikely to have just coincidently go bad at the same time! I would tell them to take a hike! The warranty is on the manufacturer who did zero wrong! The companys ripping off the manufacturer and trying to do you as well! Nice try! It takes 15 minutes to put a condenser fan motor in , about 6 bolts and 4 wires!
    And they cost about 50 bucks or so unless it has integral motor mounts, in which case it's a bit more, but $350 to install a condenser fan motor just labor? That is more than any Doctor, Surgeon, Lawyer etc makes! Its about $1,000 per hour and free parts too! They need to eat the whole job and stop ripping everybody off due to incompetence of their man! I would tell them be thankful the compressors not fried, to tell you the truth, it didn't do it any good either!

Apr 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Comment on KidChaos's post
    Thanks to everyone! I had a talk with them and they agreed to throw the bill out!
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Jun 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
    Props to KidChaos on this one for calling BS on price

Just got the local record broken in PHX - and not on temps

Dual run cap- $325 and bonus I checked it and it was good...

1lb of R22 $160 installed

And the best for last

condenser fan motor $675
    Yes that is correct -

A/C companies gone crazy out here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC outside unit and fan only work intermittently [ 1 Answers ]

I have Goodman inside and outside unit that's controlled with a 3-zone Honeywell zone controller. For the last three months our AC has been very intermittent and will work fine for 3-7 days and then all of a sudden not work for 3-15 hours before magically working fine again. Often it won't be...

Ac unit I just replaced the outside fan motor and capacitoron my ac now the fan ovea [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the outside fan motor and capacitor and now the motor will run about 20 min andshut off from over heating What could it be

Outside fan in HVAC Unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the HVAC unit on, it effectively cools the house. After a few hours, however, I notice that the fan in the outside unit has stopped running. The air handler continues to operate, but there is no cooling anymore. If I turn off the system, wait an hour and start it, the outside fan...

Frozen outside hvac unit [ 1 Answers ]

Outside hvac unit is frozen with ice? Can I pour hot water on it to thaw?

HVAC Split Unit Heat works fine, A/C compressor on fan off [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all. I certainly have found a TON of info on this site, and problems that sound just like mine, but solutions seem to point to different things than in my system. So I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate somebody already answered. I have an older Ducane Oil Furnace converted to...

View more questions Search