Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slickrich33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
    Girlfriend still in contact with her ex.
    My girlfriend of 1.5 years put a car in her name for her ex (and claims it's just a favor for a friend). He deposits money into an account and she then initiates a monthly payment online. She promised me that the situation would not effect our relationship in any way. And, essentially, there is no other reason to communicate with each other. Well, he calls about once a week for things that I feel are mere excuses to contact her - which has been the case throughout our entire relationship. He used to text or call twice a week - now it's down to once a week. I have asked that she fix the situation and she refuses stating that she doesn't like to be told what to do. She claims that she loves me, has no interest to rekindling things with her ex (supposedly they broke up three years ago - seems like they have been stringing each other along the past three years) and that I have nothing to feel insecure about. I completely disagree. The situation has become unbearable and I am at the point where I want to part ways over this. She finally called and asked him to not contact her unless he was unable to make a payment on time. She then became angry at me because I put my foot down, demanding that she respect me and respect our relationship and to stop all contact with her ex. What should I do? I'm thinking we should go our separate ways.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2011, 01:59 PM

Ask her to try and consider the position that she, and HE, have put you in. I mean how would she react if the tables were turned? What if YOU were having constant contact with one of YOUR ex-girlfriends? How long would she go along with THAT? Not long I'm sure.

No, it's not asking too much for your feelings to be considered. But make no mistake, it's all in the delivery whenever we have these problems arise in our relationships. She , or no other woman I know of, wants to be made to feel that she's being told to NOT do something.

It's a matter of respect though. On both sides.

She should be flattered that you're miffed(jealous) about this other guy.

No one said that it was going to be easy.

Good luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 07:49 PM

You had no choice but to be honest about what you felt, and if she holds that against you, then parting ways would end this drama. I mean its not your actions that caused this rift, its hers.
    flowerchildfala Posts: 96, Reputation: 16

Mar 29, 2011, 12:02 AM
    If it something you feel that strongly about then you have to let her know but also try to compromise and come to an agreement e.g. maybe she can cut contact with him a little bit like only has contact with him once a month then that way you both get what you want. Anyway don't be jealous of I'm, your with her now, not him!!
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Mar 29, 2011, 03:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    But make no mistake, it's all in the delivery whenever we have these problems arise in our relationships. She , or no other woman I know of, wants to be made to feel that she's being told to NOT do something.
    What would be a good way to make such a delivery and get a good response?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend still wants to contact me! [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my ex girlfriend broke up at christmas and she said she didn't know how she felt anymore! We kept in contact and were even sleeping together with her saying one minute she loved me then the next she wasn't interested! She told me that she now knew she wanted to be with me 4 ever but wanted...

Ex girlfriend annoyed about no contact [ 24 Answers ]

I am 31, she is 29. So its been a few weeks of minimal contact with texts all initiated by her (with no response by me) telling me that she will always love me and she misses me and is sorry for hurting me, wished me a happy holiday "even though it is not with her". Along with tension filled...

Should I contact my girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I am a little confused about the trial month. Is it up or not? But then I don't think I need to know. If you texted her for Thanksgiving and now it is 4 days later and she never returned or acknowledged such a kind gesture something's probably up. Your first sign was the "break" itself. I have been...

Ex girlfriend contact [ 6 Answers ]

WOW!! Its being two weeks since my ex girlfriend doesn't contact me. Does this mean she found another guy? She would text me ever other day to see how I am doing. Its was good having that around but I really miss it. Do you guys think she is with someone else? Would you guys think it would be...

Is No-Contact Appropriate In This Situation With Ex-Girlfriend? [ 81 Answers ]

Hello, My girlfriend and I have apparently split up. She gave me no indication of her intentions to begin with. Therefore, since she has stopped calling or seeing me I can conclude that she no longer wants to be with me and is seeing another guy. We last saw each other on September 4 of this...

View more questions Search