Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Snowmobile just died while going full throttle
    I have an old 1991 Arctic Cat Jag snowmobile. It was not running for a few years and the mice took over. Anyway, I cleaned out the entire fuel system and carburetor and managed to get it running again. It seemed to be running well. I took it to a lake for a ride and drove it about 1/2 mile or more at full speed when it just died on me. It does not seem to get any spark when pulling the rope. I have checked the fuel system again and everything seems fine and I also replaced the plugs with new ones but no change. Any advice on what to check next or what to try? Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 04:43 PM

A Stupid answer, but check all kill switches, hope it is that easy.

Mar 17, 2011, 05:29 PM
    Well all the switches are in correct position but I will have to start checking into the wiring I guess, which I really don't want to do. :)
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 05:34 PM

Compression is likely good? now it is a matter of fuel and spark at the right time.

Mar 18, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Compression is fine, just not getting the spark. I have checked the fuel line, carburetor, and spark plugs and everything seems to be working. Just can't figure it out now.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 06:33 AM

I have read there is a 4 pin plug connector, that can be unplugged and jump the brown to black and this bypasses all kill switches.

Apr 8, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Could you explain that one a little better so I can try it? Can a kill switch just go bad like that on it's own? It really does seem like the kill switch is pushed in even though it's not. I get basically nothing when I give it a pull. I even tried some gas directly in the cylinders with new spark plugs but still nothing.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2011, 05:28 PM

Then fuel is likely NOT the problem, I would say no spark, and Kill switches maybe the problem.
    Kill switches usually work in one of 2 ways. Interrupt power, or Grounding of a wire.
    One will be wired in series and the other in parallel.
    Do you have a Shop Manual or Schematic? Good Investment.

Apr 8, 2011, 06:04 PM
    The kill switch has two wires leading from it. I have disconnected the harness and direct wired it to bypass the kill switch but that didn't seem to help. I have also bypassed the ignition but that didn't seem to help either. Just can't seem to get a spark...
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2011, 06:26 AM

Do you have just the kill switch on handlebars and a Lanyard kill?

Apr 9, 2011, 07:47 AM
    No lanyard. Just a kill switch by the throttle. The only thing running from the handlebars on that side are the throttle cable and two wires from the kill switch and those are what I tried to bypass.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2011, 06:05 PM

You should be able to unplug or jump to work, if nether works, the problem is elsewhere.
    Haven't found a schematic yet.
    If the kill switch makes and breaks when switched as seen with a continuity/ohm meter, it is likely good and can be plugged back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B&G 5 HP won't run at full throttle [ 2 Answers ]

B&G 5 hp will idle forever and will not run at full rev. checked the usual.. gas, carb, coil and can't find problem. Suggestions gratefully accepted

Why does my 04 F150 run sluggish at full throttle [ 2 Answers ]

When I step down on the gas you can feel the transmission shifting through the gears, but the power in the engine is not there. The power does not jump out there it gradually builds, and when I take off from a dead stop the engine will shake a little like it is missing and the wrench like comes...

B&S runs at full throttle only ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sears craftman 14.5 hp M# 287707 Type- 1259-e1 code 010103zd... It set up since may of 2007 , I charged the battier and put a little gas in the carb. It started but it will run full throttle only, The throttle is on low , but it still runs at full throttle. I took the carb. Off and...

Black smoke at Full Throttle [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears Garden Tractor w/ a Kohler 25 hp engine. Recently,we had the fuel solenoid replaced (this problem was correctly diagnosed by NEWAUKUDOM! Thanks!) and since we have it gotten back, the engine burns black smoke (rightside seated), especially under load. Checked the plugs, heavy oil...

View more questions Search