Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    el_loco.tortuga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Is my daughter 'Gifted'?
    My daughter is 2 1/2 years old. Until recently we haven't really started 'teaching' her, but we just let her learn as she pleased. About 2 days ago we really started working with her after hearing that there were new knowledge requirements for some kindergartens.

After just a day of working with her, she cans already recognise 5 or 6 letters on sight. She can also sing the whole ABC song and many others. We've given she some letter and matching puzzles to play with and she completes them quickly.

Her vocabulary is over 200 words even though she didn't start talking until about 6 months ago. We've always said that she's incredibly smart but does anyone think that she might be 'Gifted'?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 04:23 PM

Its too early to know if she is gifted or not... its going to take some years before that's certain. She might however be a quick learner, and ahead of the curve. And that's a good thing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about "giftedness" now. Instead, spend time making up/telling and reading her stories, going on walks and counting the tress or flowers or birds, go to the library to get books on trees and flowers and birds so she learns their names, let her help you with baking and cooking (there are simple, safe jobs she can do), take her grocery shopping with you and talk about all the food you see, lie on the grass and look up at puffy clouds to figure out what shapes they are, draw pictures with her with pencils and crayons and then tell stories about the pictures, play with stuffed animals and dollies and pretend they are in school, sing songs with her, clap your hands, march around the room (make music a part of her life), play word games with her, play Concentration (the Memory Game) by turning over face-down pairs of tiles or cards and then flip them two at a time over while taking turns to find matches. Stretch her imagination and let her use her brain. Teach her about taking turns and being patient and following directions.

Enjoy her, and help her enjoy life and stay busy!
    PinkHarley Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Apr 11, 2011, 03:53 AM
    Frequently Asked Questions About Extreme Intelligence in Very Young Children

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10162.aspx

It is sad that K is the new 1st grade, and many classes expect children to come in almost reading already.
    Don't worry about giftedness. Just work on enriching her learning experience.

Read to her, a lot. Teach her to love learning.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 08:53 AM

It sounds like she's right on track. I wouldn't say she's gifted, but normal, based on what I've seen in other kids her age.

Just keep teaching her new things, make it fun, and she should be more than ready for Kingergarten when the time comes. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 29, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Some gifted children grow up to be mediocre adults, and say it was because of too high expectations.
    There may be many; we only hear about the ones who succeed.
    Throughout history, famous and extraordinary thinkers, scientist, inventors, and artists often succeeded against incredible odds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My gifted 5 yr old daughter, should I look into changing schools? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey everyone :) So my daughter is 5 and in kindergarten... I went to my daughter's first parent teacher conference last night. A little background on her... I (as well as other family members) started seeing signs of advancement when she was really little. I just figured she was a fast...

Is my 6 year old daughter gifted or just smart [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my daughter who is 6 has been advanced compared to my 13 year old son and daughter since birth by the time she entered prk at 4 she knew how to write her first and last name ,her colors her shapes even octagon her number by sight and could count to 100 and could recognize her letters .She...

Am I gifted [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out today that my IQ was 129 and I'm 12 does that man I'm gifted?

Is he Gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Since the age of 3 my son has spoke of Religion or anything to do with Religious aspects. One day he told my husband and I Jesus was standing right behind him. Then he went into this detailed discription of how Jesus was crucified. He descriped how he had a "nest" on his head. He physically...

Gifted or not [ 10 Answers ]

My question is: I have a 6 year old daughter that I think is gifted... she started to walk at 9 -10 months old... went from sitting to walking... has been talking very clearly since 10 months and does everything ahead... I have told the school that I think she is gifted and nothing has been done...

View more questions Search