Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smb1107 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
    Employer confidentiality
    I live in Connecticut and in 2009 I worked as an admissions rep for a private medical school and I was terminated for two previous write-ups and the third was for performance. I had no problem with their decision and moved on. Recently I was contacted by a lady who worked there some time after me and was terminated for the same reason. She is in the process of suing them now. Apparently they wanted to let her know that they had fired other employees for the same reason as hers and sent her information from my personnel file. They sent her copies of my three write-ups. Although they did not include my ss#, address, or phone the copies did have my full name in them. Is that legal? This woman is a total stranger and they just send her my write-ups without blacking out my name. In actuality they sent her information from three past employees and one did have a ss#. What can I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 02:27 PM

Do nothing. They broke no laws and did you no damage. If it would make you feel better you could report them to your local labor board to give them some heat. You could also write them a threatening letter saying the release of this information may defame and libel you and a suit will be considered if it ever happens again.
    smb1107 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 07:30 PM

They broke rules of business, but not illegal. If what they told was true, they are free to tell it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA law on confidentiality [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering if it is a hipaa violation for a sleep study agency to disclose sensitive iformation regarding myself to my 12 year old son, and if so what is my legal recourse.

Confidentiality Agreement author [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out who authored Rob Lowe's confidentiality agreement? I know who represented him in court, but how can I track down the details of the actual agreement and the attorney behind that?

Pharmacists Confidentiality [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I just had a question, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask it, but do pharmacists have confidentiality laws? Is it illegal for them to tell others what you have purchased?

Confidentiality in a school setting [ 2 Answers ]

Why is confidentiality important in the school setting?

View more questions Search