Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Recourse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Is there any recourse for a co-worker discussing my health?
    I have an illness I was just diagnosed with and a co-worker who is fishing to find out what is wrong with me. I have discussed with management to keep my health matters completely private. However, people talk and I understand that, but this co-worker in particular is known for gossiping about others matters openly with everyone in the company. I do NOT want anyone to know. If this person does find out my illness, is there any recourse I have about not keeping my health matters private? Sounds like an ethical breach to me, but I need to find out. He/she's already been asking me what's wrong and I explain, "none of your business, I'm here to work".
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
    If it does happens, I think you might be able to complain to your Human Resources that she's creating a hostile work environment by badgering you and/or making your illness her business. Depending on whether she's a supervisor, if she is treating you differently it could be a form of discrimination. But if she's not a medical provider or part of your medical care office, then it's not under the HIPAA privacy laws. I would probably want to tell her to stay away from me, but I think you're doing good when you tell her it's none of her business and get back to work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 08:00 PM

Really there is little you can do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2011, 03:47 AM

The next time she asks, you add to your answer by telling her, that your personal health is non of her business and if she persists in harassing you about it you will take up the matter with human resources.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 09:33 AM

The legal answer also is that you can't take action in anticipation of a problem. As I understand it you are concerned what she might do if she does find out.

Address her face to face? Certainly. Legally? I don't see an action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soc Worker argued with my boyfriend, he filed complaint, Worker now says he is unsafe [ 1 Answers ]

DCFS Worker is accusing my boyfriend of being abuse and threatening to take action about 'the children's situation' because the Worker herself started an argument with him and he argued back. The very idea of abuse is absurd. DCFS removed my Ex's visitation rights this summer. I am the...

If you are a mental health worker. [ 1 Answers ]

You have been seeing a client who was in the Iraq war that began in 2003. This soldier is exhibiting symptoms of PTSD. What type of therapy would you use with this soldier and why? What similarities and what differences would you expect to see between veterans of Vietnam and soldiers fighting in...

Recourse vs. Non-recourse loan foreclosure short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am in a pretty bad situation and need some help/advise. I live in California, and purchased the house I am currently living in 2 years ago. Now my first loan (460K) is adjusting from 5.25% to 8.5%, which means an increase of $1200 in montly payment that I can no longer afford. I still owe...

Community health worker and Education [ 1 Answers ]

What level of Education do I need to become a Community Health Worker. I mostly want to specialize in working with children but I don't know what math and science and english I need. Could you help me by answering this?

View more questions Search