Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ineedanswers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Living Situations & The Money
    My Mom left my Father a year ago, however she never asked for child support. To keep peace within my family I juggled living back and forth between my parents. Now after a year I have come to the decision that I can not live with my Father. All he cares about is the money. He makes my Mother split all the bills as well as pay half the mortgage on the house she no longer lives in. I live with her for over 60% of the time; I have not stayed at my Father's house in over a month and a half. Yet he still wants money for things. My Mom does not ask him for a cent, when she should have been collecting 700 dollars a month for the past year for me. She still does not want to collect child support from my Father, but I want her to. We have to live check-to-check because the money is tight. How do I get the money for my Mother that she deserves? Who do I speak with?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 09:29 PM
    If you mother refuses to file for child support, there is nothing you can do.

Only she can file for it.

The best thing you can do is try to convince her to do it.

Maybe get her paper work in order, maybe talk to a lawyer.

But if she isn't on board, there isn't much you can do.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2007, 06:26 AM
    The Captain is right. It's up to your mother. If it's any comfort, I'm with you; she should file for court-ordered child support. Did they get a divorce, or just separate without any legal resolution? Marriage is a legal contract, and when it ends, there should be legal recognition and enforcement of the continuing obligation to support the children. Try to get your mom to do what needs to be done to secure your future support from your father. She absolutely should not be paying half the mortgage payment on a house that's no longer hers. It sounds like maybe she's in denial about the end of the marriage and doesn't want to take the legal steps to make it official. She needs to wake up and smell the burning rubber.
    Vickie Miller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 07:59 AM
    I have been married 7 yrs to my husband. I want a divorce due to verbal abuse. The house is in his name. I live in FL. Does he have to sell the house and give me half of what he gets? Please answer as soon as possible. I am going insane.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vickie Miller
    I have been married 7 yrs to my husband. I want a divorce due to verbal abuse. The house is in his name. I live in FL. Does he have to sell the house and give me half of what he gets? Please answer as soon as possible. I am going insane.
    You should start a new thread to get more answers (click on the "Ask About Divorce" button at the bottom).

The first step is to get an attorney and file for divorce. The division of property is one of the main issues to be determined in the divorce proceedings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance money will I be taxed for living in another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I recently inherited some money from a home which my mother sold as part of our inheritance (4) children. The problem is that the property is located in Puerto rico and my mother has just informed me that her lawyer said we will not be able to claim the money until this coming year tax return ...

Paid here, not living here... [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my inquiry is the following. I arrived to the US under a H1B visa in March 05, and worked here (paid by a US company in an US account) the whole year. In a couple of weeks I will be coming back to Europe (indefinitely), but for at least a year the US company will keep paying my salary in my...

Living in NY but working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NJ but we live in NY. His job sent him so many w-2's it is so confusing. We use taxcut to do our taxes usually. Do we have to enter w-2's separately like one for NY and one for NJ? Or just add them up? Any help would be appreciated. For federal we would have to...

View more questions Search