Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jadexzee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2011, 06:36 AM
    Free math tutorial answer my question?
    Suppose an orange to be a perfect sphere whose diameter is 3in, and suppose that the skin is of uniform thickness 1/8 in, and that the juice of the orange is uniformly distributed throughout its meat. Find the depth of a slice cut from the outside that will contain as much juice as a slice whose bases are parallel section 1/8 in from the center.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 06:50 AM

Please read this announcement. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...-b-u-font.html

We don't mind HELPING you with your homework, but we can't do it for you. If you show some initiative and give us your answer and an explanation as to how you got your answer, we will be more than happy to help you.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2011, 10:34 AM

I assume this is what you're describing?:

The section 1/8th inch on either side of the x-axis must be the same as the segment with height h?

Assuming I am interpreting correctly, find the volume of the slice in the center of the orange.

We can find this by using calculus.

The slices have a base which is bounded by

Integrate to find the volume of the 1/4 inch slice at the center (1/8th inch above and below the center)

Then, to find the volume of the segment, integrate from h to 3 instead of -1/8 to 1/8. Set this result equal to the volume from the first integral above, solve for h.

I just used 3 inches as the radius of the orange. You may have to adjust to take the skin into account.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Answer my math problem for free [ 4 Answers ]

suppose you used the rule (6x,6y) to transform this figure into a new figure.how would the side lengths of the new figre compare to the side lengths of the original?

Free answer to plumbing question [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the name of the tool that can be used to remove the plug on the main sewer drain. The drain is recessed so I cannot use a regular wrench to reach it. The plug has a square nut type of protrusion which I am sure was put there to open the plug with the right tool. I just don't even...

Answer my math problem for free [ 3 Answers ]

.41+21.4+6.3+280= how do they get the answers

View more questions Search