Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loopsj41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Plumbing
    I have a new home I've just built and almost finished. My shower floor is stained concrete and only has a 1 1/2" lip on the side to contain water (wheelchair accessible). Anyway, my plumber failed to put the actual drain (the part you see) on the end of the pipe when they poured the slab. He told me to have a 4" hole cored around the drain so it could be installed, which I did, but here's the problem. The drain itself has a 1/2" lip on it for tile and won't seat flush with the concrete (it's about 4 3/4" in diameter) and he's scratching his head on what to do. The obvious thing to do would be to groove the concrete out around the hole that was cored so it will sit properly, but on a stained floor that can't be patched (to where it looks right anyways), we all know how difficult this will be, and I don't want tile as that would put my water lip at about 1/2" after that went in (not to mention the added expense and how difficult it is to tile sloped concrete). My question is, what type of drain trim can I get that will glue onto the 2" pvc and lay flush with the concrete, and oh yeah, still be able to be sealed (water seeping under the slab)? Surely they make something for this type of situation don't they? Or is this one of those once-in-a-blue moon type deals that doesn't come up often enough for parts manufacturers to come up with a piece for this type situation? I've searched everywhere and my licensed plumber is dumbfounded. I've attached a picture of the drain situation and the shower itself (just for some perspective). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I'm about to start cutting concrete and it'll be like doing brain surgery with a hammer...
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2011, 06:53 PM
    I saw a contraption on HGTV, with about 20 clear flaps like blunt flower petals all around a center PVC ring. It was being installed in a concrete shower floor. They never tell you where to get these new things or even what they are called half the time.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2011, 06:56 PM
    (Of course it would need a skim coat over it - can you put one over the stained sealant?)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 04:04 AM

Hi Loops...

Doesn't look like the right drain to me... ;)

Before we can tell you more, is there a vinyl shower membrane that contains the cement? There needs to be a shower membrane/pan of some kind. If that's missing, I'm afraid the whole floor and that first row of tile on the wall will need to come out... *UGH*.

Of course, to be sure, let us know as much as you do about the installation procedure that was followed, OK?

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I'm a There needs to be a shower membrane/pan of some kind. If that's missing
    Or been cut by the core drilling

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ppr plumbing vs cpvc plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Ppr OR cpvc which one is better for residential plumbing

Correctional grade plumbing how different from commercial plumbing or residential [ 3 Answers ]

Just need a little information about the difference to answer a questioner .

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

We have very low water pressure in our Kitchen sink /. All the other faucets are fine for pressure. What can l do? Thanks for your help!

Plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

How far down is drain past p trap on bathtub already down 8inches past concrete slab no bottom still in sight?

View more questions Search