Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackangelcj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Nutrition
    Hi,
    My question goes thus ,is vulture a saprophyte and why .please be elaborate.
    Thanks in advance.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 21, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Hi Blackangel,
    I'm not entirely sure myself, though I would be quite hesitant to use this term in regard to vultures, or any animal for that matter. Firstly, "-phyte" means plant -- this is a term typically reserved for specific plants and fungi. By necessity these plants typically grow on their host source of nutrition, and many such as Indian Pipes lack chlorophyll and thus are incapable of photosynthesis, thereby prooducing energy in any other form. Others, such as many orchids, are simply dependent on the presence of certain fungi in the soil.
    Though probably largely incapable of hunting for live prey, were it ever necessitated -- I would consider vultures to be somewhat more "opportunistic" feeders, much like animals such as coyotes. Though vultures are carrion eaters, the turkey vulture for instance, is a fairly particular eater. They prefer flesh that is only slightly decomposed, generally neglecting more decayed carcasses; and they actually in general, prefer the flesh of herbivores, turning down carnivore flesh whenever possible; in the latter case, probably due to the assumedly elevated presence of compounds such as arachidonic acid.
    I hope this is of some help. Take care. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nutrition [ 4 Answers ]

Calculate the actual number of Kcal provided if diet consists of: 55% CHO, 15% protein, 30%fat and the total Kcal is 2200.

Nutrition [ 4 Answers ]

What level of calories would you recommend for a guy in his mid-forties, minimally active, who must lose weight ?

How is nutrition absorbed ? [ 2 Answers ]

So this is something I can't find on the internet so that's why I'm doing this project,:rolleyes: So how is nutrition absorbed?:confused: Thank you :D

When does nutrition get absorbed after eating? [ 2 Answers ]

When does nutrition get absorbed by the body after eating?

Nutrition/Vitamins [ 17 Answers ]

I'm a very picky eater.. and I don't get enough iron or vitamins.. and I don't like to eat meat that much.. and I've been getting really dizzy.. and I've had to give blood because I almost fainted.. and I keep on getting really dizzy when I get up or when I start walking around.. and I'm not sure...

View more questions Search