Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pc_lady Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Apr 13, 2011, 08:01 PM
    What do you want? Have you filed for divorce? If neither of you have previously filed for legal separation or divorce, then yes, she can try to come back, file for divorce and take the house. Can she succeed? Depends on how good your proof and lawyers are compared to her "proof" and lawyers. At least get a consult from your local Bar Association. Most of the time they will give you a referral free or at a reduced rate. Hope it all works out for you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pc_lady View Post
    What do you want? Have you filed for divorce? If neither of you have previously filed for legal separation or divorce, then yes, she can try to come back, file for divorce and take the house. Can she succeed? Depends on how good your proof and lawyers are compared to her "proof" and lawyers. At least get a consult from your local Bar Association. Most of the time they will give you a referral free or at a reduced rate. Hope it all works out for you.

I question where you get your legal info on this and other threads. No, the wife cannot come back and "take the house." It depends on many factors. The Court will take into consideration: where did the money for the downpayment come from; who has made the payments; who has paid the taxes; who has done the upkeep; did the house increase or decrease in value; does one party want to buy the other party out.

This is a marriage with no children. Apparently both parties are self supporting.

Can one "take" the house from the other? No. Can they negotiate an agreement as to value and division of the proceeds? Yes. Will the Court make a determination if they cannot agree? Yes.

Which brings us to the question of why OP chooses to live, responsible for his wife's debts in some circumstances, separate and apart from her.

OP needs to consult with an Attorney - and none offer free consultations in MY area.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 06:58 PM

Where is the original post/ question in this thread?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2011, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Where is the original post/ question in this thread?

Missing! As I recall wife abandoned husband and jointly-owned house a year ago, moved to another State, has now announced she is coming back to "get" the house. Can she do that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving back in? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone Can someone please give me an idea what to do? I have been with my wife for 14 years and 2 children. My daughter is 6 and my son is 6months old. We both own a house on joint mortgage and recently I have left because of marriage breakdown and to be honest the stress of money...

Moving back into a winterized house [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be moving back into my house that was perviously winterized. What do I need to do before I move back in & get everything running. The has been anti-freeze put in the sink & toilet traps. My house runs off a well, and I will be moving back in in the winter, so the temperature will...

Moving back & ex won't let me take kids [ 2 Answers ]

I moved from Washington to Texas in September, but have found that I do not like it and want to move back. However, my (soon to be) ex does not want to return, and will not let me take the children with me. They want to keep them solely to get child support. What are my rights and how can I be...

A set back in moving on, need some support [ 16 Answers ]

Hey guys, To quickly sum my most recent relationship, I was with her 3 years and we broke it of early June. In all fairness it was good relationship, but with its bagage, a lot of ups and downs. This was for me and her our first serious relationship (we had other things in the past but nothing...

Moving From NYC back to MA [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to NYC from Massachusetts about 5 years when I went to grad school for acting. I have since graduated and have been living in NYC for 2 years. I don't have a job and have just been temping to pay the bills (which hasn't been working at all). I recently decided to get a full time job as a...

View more questions Search