Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abcirclepro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 12:25 AM
    I have been accused of stealing up to $1000 for not invoicing correctly?
    My ex employer has just rung yelling at me telling me that I have over paid myself by $1000 over a 2 month period. I told him that I was not paid for any work that I did not do, I have just forgotten to invoice for all the hours that I have worked. H is demanding that I pay back the $1000 that he can not account for? What are my ights in this situation? There is no way that I have done this what happens now. I have hung up on him as he is screaming down the phone and I do not have to put up with his yelling any longer.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2011, 06:43 AM

So you paid yourself? Are we understand it right that you overpaid yourself for things that you should have invoiced?

I hope you have good records to refer to - with good details about them.

Other than that, his screaming at you cannot hurt you... so just take things as they come.

If he does sue you, then get a good attorney immediately.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abcirclepro View Post
    I have just forgotten to invoice for all the hours that I have worked. H is demanding that I pay back the $1000 that he can not account for?
    Hello A:

It's not a matter of rights... It's a matter of accounting... If you HAVE the invoices, then show him, and the accounting will be correct. If that doesn't satisfy him, then it's his move next. If he fires you, then that's that. If he sues you, he'll lose. If he calls the cops, say NOTHING to them.

Check back when one of those things happens.

excon
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2011, 07:38 AM

Yes, it is partially a matter of accounting... but if you did not account for things that should have been invoiced, and instead overpaid yourself for hours that you did not work, then that may be a separate issue.

Excon is right - and his advice is similar to what I said: get your records together and be sure that you can account for it all.

My thought is also like Excon's in that if you are sued and you show that what you "overpaid yourself" on hours is equal to what you should have paid by invoices, then it should not be an issue.

Get your records together and then just wait and see what your former employer does next.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband have been accused of stealing and have been arrested what should he do? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband have been accused of stealing from UPS. He haven't been near that place since last year when he use to work there and they have accused him for stealing on April 9,2010 and April 12, 2010. Detectives are saying that they have video footage of him stealing but I and his family is one...

Accused of Stealing [ 36 Answers ]

I am on State Probation and I have been for 2 years now and still have 2 more to go. I started my own business due to I have to work and no one wants to hire someone with a record not to mention I have 4 babies 9 and under. I have never been accused of stealing from a customer until a week and a...

My husband was accused of stealing $4000 from his job. What can I do? [ 21 Answers ]

I have a long story that I am desperate for advice on and I am hoping that you will read it all... I have a question that I am desperate for help with. My husband was recently accused of taking money from his work. He works for a gas station and has been employed there for 3 years....

View more questions Search