Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peter-Berkeley Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
    J1 with resident alien tax status - how to file interest from foreign bank account?
    I was on a J1 visa in the US in 2010 but it was my third year, which makes me resident alien for 2010 taxes.
    As resident I need to file form 1040, including interest earned on my home bank account (in Germany) - I filed 1040EZ first but it is indicated that I have to use 1040 if my total amount of money on a foreign account is more than $10.000 (although interest earned is less than $1500 and would therefore fit to form 1040EZ).
    In my situation, do I need to file Schedule B of form 1040? Do I also need to file form TD F 90-22.1, which is for US persons but I am not sure about the definition - I have a J1, 2010 was my third year, so I am considered resident for tax purposes... furthermore, I don't have any documentation from my German bank (such as files 1099-INT or similar forms) - do I need a form from my German bank and what other forms would I need to file ?

Besides that, I am not sure if the German government already took tax on my interest from my German account - which should neglect it for the US Taxes.. On top, if your interest does stay below a certain amount it is not taxable in Germany - but I guess now that I am a resident alien for tax purposes in the US it is taxable here?

I am very grateful for any help/suggestions/tips as I am slightly confused with all the different forms.

Thank you so much.
    bine2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Yes, you do need to file Schedule B.
    As a resident alien you also need to file form TD F 90-22.1 if you have more than $10,000 in foreign accounts (but not with your tax return, the deadline id June 30 and you need to send it to he US treasury).
    You don't need any documents form your German bank to send with your return, however, you should have proof in case of an audit (Kontoauszuege showing the interest for example). I usually ask my bank to send me a year end statement. There is nothing like a Steuerfreibetrag in the US, you have to report the full amount. Additionally, you should have changed your address with your bank in which case you are not eligible for a Steuerfreibetrag in Germany as your residence is abroad, however they should also not take out any taxes as you are taxed in the US). If taxes were taken out, you can take a credit for those using form 1116.
    Peter-Berkeley Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
    Thank you so much for the answer.

Now that I actually deal with the forms I have one or two more questions.
    I did get interest from my German account (which I included in my 1040 form) - do I include the information (amount of interest) in schedule B, part 1 as well (what would be the payers information - name of my foreign bank?)..
    Schedule B, part III: What is the def. of "foreign trust"? Is my bank account considered a foreign trust? If so, what would I need to file in form 3520?

Thanks a lot for any answer.
    mte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation as resident alien having pension funds in the country I was before being in the U.S. and which I would only get once retired. I don't understand if it is part of the exceptions for reporting foreign accounts including tax qualified retirement plans. In fact it's a obligatory retirment contribution in Switzerland, does that qualify?

Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to file tax for bank account interest under $10? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a saving account with interest of under $10 in 2010. Do I need to include the interest I made with the bank account when I file tax for 2010? I know that it is not required for 2009 but I just want to make sure. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.

Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy...

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since. Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien? Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and...

View more questions Search