Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasicurie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
    Accidental damage
    Who has to pay for repairs which tenant has caused (acidental) on a rental property?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2011, 09:22 AM

Hello k:

Well, I'm not a solicitor, but depending on your lease and your state laws, the tenant would have to pay for them. It doesn't matter if it was an accident or not.

excon
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 09:27 AM

"Solicitor" sounds like the UK?

Do you have a lease? Check that. When I was a landlady, I made sure there was a paragraph that stated my tenants would pay for repairs to my property if they accidentally or on purpose caused something to break.

Mar 13, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    In our tenancey it don't state that we have to pay for accidental repairs

Mar 13, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Yes is uk
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 09:35 AM

What did you break?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2011, 09:38 AM

Hello again, k:

Most leases won't use that language, because it's extraneous. What I mean by that is, it's obvious WHO should pay for an accident. If you drive, and somebody runs into your car, EVEN by accident, you'd want HIM to pay, wouldn't you? Of course, you would. For sure, it's not YOUR fault. Accidents happen. When they happen to you, you pay.

Even if he were to turn it over to his insurance company, they'll come after you too.

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Accidental damage is ALWAYS the tenants responsibility where the tenant was at fault.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidental Shoplifting in CT [ 4 Answers ]

When I accidental shoplifted in Ocean State Big Lots in CT ($8), the loss prevention officer from the store told me I was going to receive a letter in the mail and that I have to pay that bill which will compensate their financial losses. The incident happened Dec.15, 2008. It is almost 2 years now...

Accidental shoplifting [ 2 Answers ]

I walked out of the store today and into another, where I was approached by security guy asking if I took something. I said no, even offered him to check my bag where I stood (which he can't do). So then he insisted and asked I go back to the store. Knowing I didn't take anything, I went back. He...

Can my accidental eye damage effect my child's vision [ 6 Answers ]

When I was 16 I had mistakenly caused damage to my eyes and now I have BAD vision. The eye doctor said by looking through the microscope my left eye is kind of football shaped causng me to only be allowed to wear strong medicated rigid contact lens. No glasses, they said it was some kind of...

View more questions Search