Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dakota_tobiano Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 02:31 AM
    Disk on key (USB) doesn't open, gives error message (format) instead. What can I do?
    I've uploaded on my USB several files. When I tried to activate it later, I received error message "Disk not formatted, Do you want to format it now". Still didn't press "yes" - I really would hate losing the files on that disk!
    What do I do? I'm not too good with computers and such, so I would really appreciate an answer as detailed as possible!

Thanks!
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
    You need to get in the habit of using the safely remove utility before yanking out a drive. Sometimes the usb device waits until your finished before it finalizes the drive, if you pull it before its closed properly it will become unrecognized. There are utilities out there to attempt to recover the files. If you can get them start using the safely remove ulitity religiously, especially if you format the drive as NTFS which requires you to set the drive to performance rather than quick removal to even format it that way.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 20, 2011, 07:03 AM
    If you have an 8 or 16gig USB drive and you want to put a file larger than 4gig (movie) on it, the drive would have to be formatted as NTFS since FAT32 cannot accept a file larger than 4gig. You will not even have the selection of NTFS in the format utility unless you go into My Computer and right click the usb drives properties and then the Hardware tab highlighting the drive in the drop down and then select its properties at the bottom, then under the Policies tab select Optimize for Performance over quick removal. Then the format utility will add NTFS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disk on key (USB) doesn't open, gives error message (format) instead. What can I do? [ 0 Answers ]

I've uploaded on my USB several files. When I tried to activate it later, I received error message "Disk not formatted, Do you want to format it now". Still didn’t press "yes" - I really would hate losing the files on that disk! What do I do? I'm not too good with computers and such, so I would...

Disk is not ready for use its door may be open... error message.. help me [ 0 Answers ]

I didn't know how it comes... but whenever I start my PC then this error message is appear its about floppy disk before this message an old error appears which was about there is no disk in the drive A:/ then I disconnected my floppy drive from motherboard then this message started appearing.. it...

Getting USB error message [ 5 Answers ]

I have an MSI K8MM3-V x64 AMD motherboard with a 3200 MHz processor, 2 GB's of RAM, a 256 MB NVidia GeForce 7600 graphics card, A Creative Labs Audigy SE sound card and a Coolmax 550 watt power supply. The board I am using is refurbished. I had to send one back because of some bad PCI slots,...

Error message [igfxtray.exe--no disk [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I boot up my computer I get this error message igfxtray.exe- no disk then below it say---there is no disk in drive.please insert a disk into drive\device\harddisk\DR3. Get get rid of it I click cancel and it goes away ,It drive me crasy please help

Error message for floppy disk drive [ 5 Answers ]

System and drive manager indicate fllopy disk drive is OK. On inserting floppy and double clicking theicon, the green comes on. An error message " please insert floppy in drive A" comes on. And thereafter it does not work. Floppy drive is replaced with the new, still the same problem exists. I have...

View more questions Search